In this article, we are going to look specifically at the best medium roast coffee available to give you clarity on which brand to try next.
Among these options are coffee grounds, whole coffee beans, instant coffee, and coffee pods. This will help you find a specific option to try as there is sure to be a choice available in our top picks.
What to Consider Before Buying Medium Roast Coffee
How to Choose Medium Roast Coffee
Many factors can influence how you choose which coffee to buy. For some, the flavored coffee options are better as that is what they prefer, for others it may be the convenience of using a coffee pod as opposed to ground coffee that is the deciding factor.
One of the first considerations anyone should make before buying their coffee is what budget they will set. Those who drink coffee more often may have a larger budget as it is seen as a necessity rather than a pleasure item. These individuals may therefore be willing to buy in bulk, which can cost more in the immediate term.
However, others see coffee as a luxury and will therefore purchase it less often. For these individuals, a larger price point at the current time may be seen as a larger hindrance or investment as they will not consume it often enough for the true value to be seen.
It is therefore vital that you consider how often you will buy your coffee grounds or beans, and how much your budget will allow. If you can afford to buy in bulk, you will see more benefits over the long run, making it a better decision.
However, if you cannot afford to buy it for a higher price, you may find yourself feeling guilty and less likely to consume the coffee.
Things to Look For In Medium Roast Coffee
By far the biggest difference that should be identified with a medium roast coffee is the type of bean it is made from. The type of bean used can make a striking difference in the finished product as the specific beans carry different flavors, nuances, and acidity.
There are 2 main types of beans available, with those being Robusta and Arabica beans.
Robusta beans are a stronger bean type, containing a high level of caffeine with a less refined but creamy taste. These beans tend to leave a foamy layer on top of the coffee and should ideally be used for espresso-based drinks. They have a rounder shape with a straight seam down the middle, differing from Arabica beans.
Comparatively, Arabica beans leave a sweeter taste in the coffee and contain less caffeinate than Robusta beans. They have a slightly more oval shape, with a curved seam making it easier to identify them. All 8 coffee options discussed below use Arabica beans, with 7 of the made entirely of this bean type.
What is the Difference Between Light, Dark, and Medium Roast?
It may be surprising for some that different roasts of coffee can have different meanings. Although some coffee producers can make extreme versions, the most common roast types are light, dark, and medium.
For those who are new to drinking coffee or do not like the strong taste of coffee, a light roast is a good option. Despite the name suggesting otherwise, the light roast has a more acidic taste and contains more coffee than its counterparts. This is due to the shorter roasting time which leaves a mild taste and subtle flavors.
Dark roast coffee has, as the name suggests, a dark color like cocoa with a matching flavor profile. This coffee is made with less caffeine which may be surprising and is an ideal option for espressos where the water passes through the coffee grounds at a rapid pace.
Finally, medium roasts which are the focus of this article, have a rich flavor with a natural balance that makes them ideal for drip coffee or cold brew. It contains a moderate amount of caffeine (less than light roast but more than dark roast) and has a natural sweetness that cuts the bitterness of the coffee and makes it slightly less acidic.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Best Medium Roast Coffee
Top 8 Best Medium Roast Coffee Brands
1. Gëvalia Colombia Medium Roast Ground Coffee
Gëvalia is a coffee brand that originated from Gävle in Sweden in 1853. The brand is known for its wide range of coffees, including various origins, roasts, and bean types. Among their most popular options is their Colombia medium roast blend which is available as a ground coffee.
This coffee is available in a bundle of 6 boxes, each containing 12 ounces of ground coffee. The coffee grounds are made by slow roasting the beans which are then snap-cooled. This allows the coffee to retain its aroma and flavor, giving you the ideal coffee for a morning cup or late-day pick-me-up.
Aside from its Colombian blend, the brand has several flavors and variations of coffee available. This includes their house blend, a traditional roast, French roast, and vanilla.
The French roast is a darker blend with the other options all being Medium roasts, allowing you the option to select the best choice from a variety of options.
- Price: At a price of approximately $51, many would assume this is a product out of their budget, and that may be true. However, this is the price for a pack of 6 bags of the Colombia roast, with the price per unit coming to approximately $8,50 for a single pack. This may be a good option for those wanting to buy their coffee in bulk.
- Origin: Having originated from Colombia, this roast has been made with 100% Arabica beans that have been grown and collected from the mountainous region of the country. Arabica beans have a sweeter taste, making this an ideal coffee for those new to drinking the beverage or those with a sweeter palate.
- Additional Information: This Colombia roast is ideally used in a brewer for quick cups of coffee, a coffee press for a full flavor, and a moka pot that gives you a stronger taste like espresso, or a pour-over for a single serving
2. Peace Coffee Colombia Single Origin Coffee
As one of the first B-Corp companies in Minnesota, Peach Coffee is a coffee brand that focuses entirely on sustainable and carbon-neutral practices.
Their coffee deliveries are a focus point, with a third of their coffee delivered using bicycles each year. This allows the company to lower its carbon footprint and abide by the meaning of its name.
Available in a 5-pound bag (80 ounces), the brand’s single-origin coffee is made to be bought in bulk, reducing shipping and packaging waste in their bid for sustainable practices. Buying in bulk has the additional benefit of costing the customer less money in the long run as they pay shipping costs infrequently.
One of the brand’s primary focuses is creating a coffee product that is made from organic coffee beans that have been sourced with Fair Trade practices.
This has led to the brand establishing connections with cooperatives in various countries, ensuring that their practices remain sustainable and do not harm the planet or the individuals working there.
- Price: As the most expensive offering on this list, many individuals might immediately decide not to buy it. However, the price of approximately $75 for a 5-pound bag, works out to be just short of $1 per ounce. This makes it a good option for those wanting to buy in bulk to save over time, despite the immediate expense.
- Origin: Using 100% Arabica beans, these beans have been grown and harvested from a single origin, which is the ANEI Cooperative. Their other blends are sourced from cooperatives in Peru, Ethiopia, Honduras, Colombia, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Sumatra.
- Additional Information: Aside from their single-origin coffee, the brand’s popular offerings are their Birchwood blend, their breakfast blend, and their yeti cold brew which is made with cold water and slow steeping the coffee for 12 hours. This leaves a strong and tasty drink ideal for common coffee drinkers.
3. Illy Classico Ground Medium Blend Coffee
Packaged in a silver tin for easy storage, the Classico medium blend coffee grounds are a good option for those wanting to buy coffee more frequently or those looking for easy storage as a primary concern. This coffee has been made with ethically sourced coffee beans to ensure sustainable practices on Illy’s end.
Coffee grounds are ideally used in a coffee press or coffee machine, making it easier and less time to make your morning coffee. This beverage has notes of jasmine, caramel, and orange blossom, leaving the coffee with a sweet aroma and a rich taste.
The brand’s passion for ethical sourcing and sustainable business practices has led them to be recognized by Ethisphere for 7 consecutive years, highlighting its commitment to producing a product with integrity and having little effect on the environment or on those growing the beans they use.
- Price: Another affordable option that is only a few cents more than the cheapest option on this list, Illy’s coffee can be bought for approximately $12,40 which comes to $1,42 per ounce. As an 8,8-ounce can, this is an affordable option for someone wanting to buy ground coffee for shorter-term use.
- Origin: Made with 100% Arabica coffee, Illy has sourced its coffee using ethical practices, ensuring guilt-free sipping. The coffee beans originate from Italy and are then ground to make it easier to make your daily caffeine fix.
- Additional Information: aside from the classico blend, Illy has several options available in both ground coffee and whole bean options. Among these is their Intenso roast which is a bold, dark roast coffee, their Forte dark roast, and decaffeinated medium roast coffee for those wanting another option.
4. New England Coffee Medium Roast
New England Coffee is a brand with sustainability and quality products at the forefront of its purpose. For more than 100 years the brand has roasted its coffee in the same manner, with the same tests to ensure quality control. The brand’s Sustainable Cup Project works to ensure support and enhancements to society, the economy, and the environment.
The coffee beans are harvested from various points and then slowly roasted in small batches. By using small batches, New England Coffee can ensure the quality of its product is maintained regardless of the batch, and that the final blend is suitable and meets its expectations for production.
As a breakfast blend, this coffee has the right acidity, flavor, and aroma to complement your morning meal. The balanced flavor ensures that the coffee will not overwhelm new coffee drinkers and will leave you with a positive experience rather than a bitter aftertaste.
- Price: At a price of approximately $16, this coffee is a good option for those experimenting with a new blend and who are not sure they will try it again. When trying to find a new coffee to have in the morning, it may be a good idea to try more affordable options first to ensure that, if you do not like it, you are not too out of pocket.
- Origin: Made from 100% Arabica coffee beans, this coffee originates from various areas, including South America, Africa, and Central America. By combining the beans from various sources, the brand has been able to create a perfect blend that meets its expectations and delivers on its promises.
- Additional Information: There are various flavors of coffee available from the brand, including chocolate cappuccino, French vanilla, and French roast, and their New England Donut Shop blend.
5. The Original Donut Shop Keurig Medium Roast
For a medium roast coffee that is suitable for a coffee machine, The Original Donut Shop has made this product available worldwide.
The brand has done its best to ensure sustainable production by making its pods and packaging recyclable and ensuring that the coffee is ethically sourced to support sustainable business practices.
These coffee pods have been designed to be used with a Keurig coffee machine, with the design being that of a k-cup. This allows customers to make their coffee with ease, by simply putting the pod in the machine, turning it on and then having their coffee completed when they get back.
Another benefit to these pods is that they are recyclable, giving you the ease of mind that you are not negatively impacting the environment with your purchases.
All you need to do is peel back the seal, empty the grounds, and recycle the pods. Similarly, the packaging that the pods are delivered in is made of cardboard, making it simple to recycle.
- Price: At a price of approximately $33, many might say this is a more expensive coffee option. However, for the ease of use in the form of coffee pods, and a price of $0,45 per pod, this may be a more affordable option in the long run for those who prefer to buy their coffee in bulk.
- Origin: Like most coffees on this list, this blend has been made with 100% Arabica beans which have a sweeter taste and less acidity.
- Additional Information: Other options available from The Original Donut Shop include dark roast coffee and decaffeinated coffee. Each of these offerings is available in a 72-pod pack, 96-pod pack, 32-pod pack, and 48-pod pack giving you an option of how much to buy at once.
6. Lavazza Super Crema Medium Espresso Roast
For a rich and creamy coffee, Lavazza has made their Super Crema medium roast available, intended to make an ideal morning cup. This coffee has been made with 2 types of coffee beans, ensuring the ideal qualities from each are apparent in the final product.
Lavazza has indicated that the best way to use this coffee is with a coffee machine. This will help extract the creaminess of the blend, leaving a light layer of froth on the liquid. One consideration is that these are whole beans as opposed to the coffee ground so you would need to ensure that your machine can grind the coffee first.
As a medium roast coffee, this roast is a good option for those who do not drink coffee often enough to have developed impartiality for acidic or bitter coffee.
It has notes of brown sugar and hazelnut which makes it a sweeter blend, ideal for a morning cup of coffee as it will not leave a bitter taste after drinking.
- Price: This coffee can be bought for approximately $25 per 2,2-pound bag, making it a middle-price range item. It is therefore a good idea to consider the frequency at which you drink your coffee as well as your budget before purchasing it. However, it is a good option for those who like to buy in bulk.
- Origin: Lavazza has made their coffee using a blend of 60% Arabica beans and 40% Robusta beans, making them a unique option on this list. The beans have been sourced from Brazil, Colombia, and India for the Arabica beans, and Indonesia and Vietnam for the Robusta beans.
- Additional Information: To make it easier to buy in bulk, Lavazza offers their coffee in 2.2-pound bags which can be bought in a pack of 1, 4, and 6. Additionally, 8.8-ounce bags are available in packs of 2 or 8, with 10-ounce and 12-ounce options available as well. Finally, there are smaller options available as 2,25 ounces.
7. Dunkin’ Original Blend Medium Roast Ground Coffee
Dunkin’ Donuts is a popular coffee-chain, known for its drive-through and sweet morning donuts. Among their offerings of freshly brewed coffees and drinks, as well as their selection of donuts, is their pre-packaged coffee which is available in coffee grounds and as whole beans.
One of the brand’s popular offerings is their original blend, medium roast coffee which is available as ground coffee or as a K-cup should you have a suitable machine. This allows customers to make their coffee using their preferred method, making this a versatile and easy-to-use product.
The coffee has a smooth and rich taste, with a deep flavor that will leave you with an ideal cup of coffee. Dunkin’ recommends making their coffee with a specific process for the ‘perfect’ cup. It is best to use cold water in a clean coffee maker to make this beverage, then you should add 1 heaped tablespoon of the coffee to create a deep and rich taste.
- Price: Dunkin’s original blend is available for approximately $22 per 30-ounce serving, making it a good price for a larger amount of coffee. If you do not want to buy 30 ounces at a time, there are other options including 10-ounce packs, 18,4 ounces, 27,5 ounces, and 12 ounces. Each comes in packs of 1 to 6.
- Origin: Made from 100% Arabica beans, this coffee originates from Latin America, including Brazil and Colombia. Each coffee bean that is collected is grown and picked and then graded by Dunkin’s standards to ensure the quality of the product remains the same regardless of when it was harvested.
- Additional Information: Aside from the original blend, Dunkin’ offers a midnight dark roast, an espresso-style blend, a cold coffee roast, and Colombian blends.
8. Starbucks House Blend Medium Roast Ground Coffee
Starbucks is known as a takeaway or sit-down coffee house. However, most do not realize that Starbucks sells their coffee beans in whole bean or ground options so that customers can make their coffee at home without needing to go to a physical store to get their caffeine fix.
Among their offerings is a medium roast, house blend which is made from 100% Arabica beans and sold in 18-ounce packages. This blend is a good option for those looking for a slightly sweeter coffee with hints of cocoa and nuts to round the flavor. additionally, the subtle hints of toffee make this a good blend option for those with a sweet tooth.
The house blend has been created to be brewed in a variety of ways, including using a drip brewer, a pour-over or moka pot, and a coffee press. This allows customers to make their coffee regardless of which system they use, making it a versatile option.
- Price: This coffee blend is the most affordable on our list, at a price of approximately $12,34 per 18-ounce pack of coffee. It is therefore a good option for those wanting a medium roast blend that will not break the bank, as it should be within most coffee budgets due to the low price.
- Origin: Starbucks ensures that all their coffee beans are ethically sourced, with their partnership with Conservation International helping to maintain this surety. The coffee beans are 100% Arabica beans, sourced from Latin America which carry flavors of nuts, chocolate, and spice to give the ideal cup of coffee.
- Additional Information: Aside from this blend, Starbucks has various other options of coffee available, including their spring day blend, honey Madagascar blend, spring variety pack, and a decaffeinated veranda option.
The Best Medium Roast Coffee – Final Thoughts
Each item on our list of the best medium roast coffee has been compared based on price, origin, and ease of use. This was done to help you put them side-by-side and choose which option is better suited to your budget, preferences, and needs.
The most affordable coffee on this list is the Starbucks House Blend coffee grounds, at an approximate price of $12 per 18-ounce can. Meanwhile, the most expensive coffee on this list is the Peace Coffee Colombia grounds with a price of approximately $75 per 5-pound bag. Depending on your coffee budget, either of these options could appeal to you.
However, it is difficult to say which of these options is the absolute best choice as it depends on your preferences and what you want from your coffee. If you want coffee grounds that take less time, then those options would be more appealing. For someone who wants to put in a coffee pod and forget about it, Keurig’s option is better.
It all depends on how you would prefer to brew your coffee, what your set budget is, and whether you have loyalty to a particular brand. Having now gone through our top picks you should have a clear idea of which coffee you will be trying next.