When it comes to coffee makers, the options are endless. There are drip coffee makers, espresso makers, and coffee makers that grind coffee `beans or use coffee grounds to make fresh cups of coffee. However, something innovative and relatively new is pod coffee makers, which allow you to make coffee with little fuss.
To make your life easier when shopping for a new coffee machine, we have compiled a list of our top 8 best pod coffee makers. This article will help you decide which coffee maker is better for you based on the price, size, and add-ons to make your coffee-making experience better.
at a glance: Best Pod Coffee Maker
What to Consider Before Buying a Pod Coffee Makers
How to Choose a Coffee Maker
Although it seems like something small to some people, buying a coffee maker is an investment. Various considerations need to be made when making this decision, including the money spent initially, the maintenance costs to ensure the coffee maker keeps working, and the coffee pods you will need to purchase.
The first consideration is the money you will spend on the coffee maker. If you buy a machine that is out of your budget, you may find yourself feeling guilty and less likely to use the coffee maker. It is therefore important to consider how much you are willing to spend and how much you can afford to spend.
Next is the maintenance your coffee maker will require. If you do not want in-depth maintenance, then a complicated coffee maker with multiple elements may not be the best idea. Rather, you would want to get a coffee machine with a simple setup that requires basic maintenance.
Finally, you need to think about which coffee pods you want to use. Various brands on the market make coffee machines that only work with their branded coffee pods. If you are someone who wants more variety, it does not make sense to buy one of these units when you have limited choices.
Attributes That Differentiate Pod Coffee Makers
When it comes to pod coffee makers, the basic purpose remains the same. Each machine will have a slot to insert a coffee pod and it will pierce the seal and force hot water through to extract the coffee. The coffee will then be funneled into a coffee mug for you to enjoy.
However, some coffee makers have add-ons to make them more unique. Some machines will come with a milk frother which will allow you to make fancier drinks such as cappuccinos and lattes. These milk frothers could be separate pieces or they could be built into the unit to pour the milk as the coffee is added.
Other coffee machines may differ based on the style of the pod they can accept. K-cups are a popular design with most coffee makers able to use these pods. However, some brands have created machines that accept only their pods, with the pods unique in shape.
Finally, there are dual-brew coffee makers available which are designed to be used with coffee pods or with coffee grounds. These machines allow the user more choice in how they make their coffee and may be preferred by families where there are different coffee preferences.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Coffee Maker?
There are several advantages that you may experience when using a pod coffee maker. The first is the easy cleanup. Most pod coffee makers have a basket that collects used coffee pods. These can then be removed to easily dispose of the coffee pods with little mess.
The next benefit is the options available to you. Coffee pods tend to be sold in a variety of flavors, strengths, and roasts (including light, medium, and dark). This allows you the option to switch between coffee types easier than if you were to use coffee grounds as you do not have to clean out the machine before switching.
Another benefit is the variety of styles of coffee you can make, particularly if you have a milk frother. Most pod coffee makers will allow you the option to switch the cup size which refers to the different amounts of coffee brewed. This makes it easier to then make an espresso-based drink with a small cup size or a larger coffee.
Finally, pod coffee makers tend to make coffee quickly meaning you do not have to wait long before enjoying your beverage. This allows you to make multiple drinks in a short space of time when having guests over. It can also be convenient for those wanting to make a quick coffee to take with them when leaving the house.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Best Pod Coffee Maker
|Keurig K-Elite||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Famiworths Iced||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Single Serve K-Cup Pod||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Ninja CFP201 DualBrew System||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Hamilton Beach 49976 FlexBrew||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Keurig K-Supreme||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Instant Pod, 3-in-1 Espresso||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Mixpresso Single Serve 2 in 1||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
Top 8 Best Pod Coffee Makers
1. Keurig K-Elite Coffee Maker
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of...
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX: 1 water filter handle, and 1 filter to help ensure your beverages taste their absolute best
- BREWS MULTIPLE CUP SIZES: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12oz, enjoy the most popular cup sizes
- STRONG BREW BUTTON: Increases the strength and bold taste of your coffee’s flavor
- ICED SETTING: Brew hot over ice at the touch of a button for full-flavored, delicious iced coffee
Given this is a Keurig coffee maker, the K-elite is a pod coffee maker that utilizes only coffee pods. However, various elements of the coffee maker increase the value of the unit, making it a good option for k-cup fans.
This coffee maker has an iced coffee capability allowing it to make tall, iced coffees, as well as shorter, hot coffees. The programmable option means you can wake up to freshly brewed coffee without needing to wait too long.
Additionally, the materials used for the coffee maker explain the higher price, making this a classy piece to have installed in your kitchen. You can buy this coffee maker in brushed slate, brushed gold, and brushed silver.
Each of the coffee makers would add a luxurious element to your kitchen.
- Price: At a price of approximately $130, this is a pricier machine but can be explained by the design and materials used. Additionally, the programmable element and permanent water filter add extra value to the coffee maker.
- Capacity: The water reservoir can hold 40 ounces of water at a time, which is equivalent to 8 cups of coffee. This reservoir is removable making it easier to refill it without issue.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 13,1 by 9,9 by 12,7 inches, this is a larger coffee maker. You would therefore need to ensure you have adequate space in your kitchen for this coffee maker without causing clutter or getting in the way.
2. Famiworth’s Iced Coffee Maker
For those who are fans of iced coffee and want the ease of switching between coffee styles, Famiworth’s Iced Coffee Maker may be the best option for you. It is available in silver, black, and green, so you can select a machine that suits your décor.
The unit has a built-in descaling reminder which will reduce how often you need to repair the unit or have it professionally descaled. This is because you will know when descaling must happen, with the option to have it automatically self-clean. The unit being able to self-clean reduces the amount of work you need to do before using it.
As with 5 of the other coffee makers on this list, Famiworth’s coffee maker can be used with both coffee pods and ground coffee. It is easy to switch between the options with a removable coffee-pod holder and a removable coffee ground basket sold with the coffee maker.
- Price: At a price of approximately $55, this coffee maker is the most affordable on the list. This can be explained by this machine being one of the smaller units on the list, meaning fewer materials have been used to make it. A benefit is that, although it is cheaper, it can be used with coffee grounds and pods.
- Capacity: The water tank can hold 14 ounces of water at once. This is equivalent to just under 3 cups of coffee when using 5 ounces as a serving size. However, with ice and milk added, the serving may be smaller allowing you to get more coffee before needing to refill the tank.
- Dimensions: This coffee maker has dimensions of 5,6 by 8,2 by 12 inches, meaning it is compact and will not clutter your kitchen counter. Most of the size comes from the height, with there being a great deal of space under the spout to fit travel mugs or tall glasses for iced coffee.
3. Wirsh Single Serve, K-Cup Pod Coffee Brewer
As the smallest coffee maker on this list, the Wirsh 2-in-1 is an ideal coffee maker for those looking for a compact and useful machine. It can be used with both coffee pods and ground coffee to make it easier to find variety in your morning drink.
There is an adjustable drip tray that allows you to sit smaller, espresso cups under the spout. This also allows larger coffee mugs, travel cups, and iced coffee glasses to fit under the spout comfortably. A drip tray at the base collects drops of water and coffee and can easily be cleaned to reduce mess.
Another benefit that you can get from this coffee maker is the efficient way it makes coffee, with water heating up in seconds to reduce the waiting time. Additionally, the water tank is detachable making refilling it easier.
Finally, you can brew 8-ounce coffees or 14-ounce coffees, allowing you to choose which size is better for you.
- Price: Another affordable option, this coffee maker can be bought for approximately $60. The simple design of the machine explains the price, however, there is more value to be gained from the add-ons.
- Capacity: The water reservoir can hold up to 30 ounces of water which is equivalent to 6 cups of water. There is a clear window that allows you to monitor the water level, allowing you to know when the reservoir must be refilled.
- Dimensions: This coffee maker has dimensions of 4,9 by 8,5 by 12,2 inches, making this the smallest machine on this list. The base of the machine will not take up unnecessary space and the lid to insert coffee pods will not add too much height to the unit.
4. Ninja CFP201 Dual Brew System 12-Cup Coffee Maker
If you are looking for a dual-use coffee machine with add-ons, the Ninja Dual Brew system may be the right coffee maker for you. It is compatible with coffee pods, with a basket attached to catch used pods to be easily disposed of.
Additionally, there is the capability to use coffee grounds with this machine and it comes with a glass carafe. This allows you to brew multiple cups of coffee at once, with options available to fill ¼, ½, ¾, and a full carafe of freshly brewed coffee.
When it comes to the coffee pod capabilities, you can brew 4 sizes of coffee, with 6 ounces, 8 ounces, 10 ounces, and 12 ounces being among the options. You can choose between a classic coffee, rich coffee, or a coffee over ice to add more variety.
Finally, the machine has a built-in auto-clean function which will not require you to clean the parts individually, rather the machine will flush out coffee and coffee grounds from the system, leaving it ready for your next use.
- Price: At a price of approximately $130, this coffee maker is in the top 3 most expensive on this list. However, the price is reflective of the benefit you get from it. You can brew coffee grounds and coffee pods, there is a separate coffee carafe, and a large water reservoir which all increase the price
- Capacity: The water reservoir can hold up to 60 ounces of water before it needs to be refilled. This is equivalent to 12 cups of coffee using a 5-ounce serving size meaning you can make a great deal of coffee before the water needs to be replenished.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 9,08 by 11,18 by 15,4 inches, this coffee maker is a medium-sized option that should not clutter your counter. Most of the size comes from the height which is due to the added space to slot the coffee carafe in comfortably.
5. Hamilton Beach 49976 FlexBrew Trio Coffee Maker
If you are looking for a hardy coffee maker that utilizes both coffee grounds and coffee pods, then the Hamilton Beach FlexBrew is a good option for you. There is a basket that catches used coffee pods making it easy to clean once you are finished brewing.
There is a coffee pod insert with a spout that allows the coffee to be extracted and poured into your coffee mug. Separately, there is a glass coffee carafe that collects coffee brewed from coffee grounds. This allows you more options when using the coffee machine as you can switch between styles easily.
A benefit to this coffee maker is that, when using the drip coffee feature, you can program the coffee maker. This allows you to set a particular time when the coffee should be brewed, meaning you do not need to wait. However, this option is not available with the coffee pods.
- Price: At a price of approximately $111, this coffee maker is in the middle of the price range on this list. This warrants some consideration before purchasing it as it may be out of some budgets. However, the price can be explained by the dual use of coffee grounds and coffee pods.
- Capacity: The carafe for dip coffee can hold 12 cups of coffee at a time. There is a window in the water reservoir allowing you to track when the coffee maker needs to be refilled.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 11,4 by 12,2 by 13,7 inches, this coffee maker is one of the larger options on this list. However, this is due to the extra space required for the separate coffee carafe for drip coffee and the spout for coffee pods.
6. Keurig K-Supreme Coffee Maker
If you are someone who drinks only k-pod coffee and you want to be able to customize your coffee maker, the K-Supreme may be the right option for you. This coffee maker has a separate water reservoir and is available in black, gray, or white.
Unlike the other coffee machines on this list, the K-Supreme only accepts k-cups which means you will have less variety with this unit. However, you can switch between flavors of coffee pods which makes up for it slightly.
You can brew multiple cups of coffee back-to-back without needing to wait for the machine to reheat. Additionally, you can brew various coffee sizes, including 6 ounces, 8 ounces, 10 ounces, and 12 ounces.
Finally, the space under the waterspout allows you to fit travel mugs making it easier to make coffee for the on-the-go.
- Price: At a price of approximately $125, this coffee maker is pricier than some other options on the list. This may be out of some individuals’ budgets so it is important to consider whether the value you will get from it is worth the price.
- Capacity: The water reservoir can hold 66 ounces of water before needing to be refilled, which is equivalent to approximately 13 cups of coffee (using a 5-ounce serving size). Additionally, the water reservoir can be adjusted to sit beside the coffee maker, or behind the unit. This allows you to position it perfectly.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 10,12 by 14,84 by 14,41 inches, this coffee maker is the largest on the list. Most of this sizing can be explained by the separate water reservoir, with the depth of the coffee maker adding more space.
7. Instant Pod 3-in-1 Coffee Maker
For a coffee maker with multiple uses, the Instant Pod 3-in-1 may be the right option for you. This coffee maker allows you to brew your beverages from coffee pods, coffee grounds, and espresso options. You, therefore, get more variety from a single coffee maker, increasing the value of the machine.
It is programmable meaning you can set a specific time when the coffee needs to be brewed. This makes it easier to get going in the morning as you can wake up to an already-made cup of coffee without needing to do anything extra beforehand.
- Price: This coffee maker is the priciest option on this list, available for approximately $200. The price of this coffee maker means you need to consider whether it will give you enough value for money before buying it.
- Capacity: Part of the price can be explained by the large water reservoir, which can hold 68 ounces of water at a time. This is equivalent to almost 14 cups of coffee that can be made before the reservoir needs to be refilled.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 7 by 13 by 14, this is a medium-sized coffee maker. Although it will not take up too much space on a countertop, the height of the unit does require adequate space. The slot to insert the coffee pod is on top of the machine so the extra height needs to be considered as well.
8. Mixpresso Single Serve 2-in-1 Coffee Brewer
If you are looking for a compact coffee maker which adds variety, the Mixpresso 2-in-1 coffee brewer is a good option. Available in black, red, white, and grey, this coffee maker is thin and tall meaning less counter space is used.
You can make coffee with this machine using both k-cups and ground coffee. There is a slot to fit your coffee pods, with the coffee flowing from a tall spout to allow travel cups to fit underneath. A coffee ground basket makes it easier to brew your fresh coffee and dispose of the grounds with little fuss.
Finally, this coffee maker is programmable which is ideal for larger families. You can program the machine to brew fresh coffee at a particular time, reducing the stress in the morning. This coffee can be prepared in various sizes, including 6 ounces, 8 ounces, 10 ounces, 12 ounces, and 14 ounces, for greater variety.
- Price: At a price of approximately $59, this is one of the more affordable options on the list. This can be explained by the smaller machine size, although the benefit you get from the coffee maker adds more value to it.
- Capacity: The water reservoir can hold up to 30 ounces at a time, which is equivalent to 6 cups of coffee. This reservoir is detachable which makes it easier to refill when needed. It sits at the back of the machine to avoid adding width to the base.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 6 by 10 by 15 inches, this coffee maker is among the smaller options. With a small base and most of the size coming from the height, this is a good coffee maker for small kitchens. It will not cause clutter or take up needed counter space.
The Best Pod Coffee Maker – Final Thoughts
When it comes to pod coffee makers there are various things to consider. Your budget for the coffee machine is the first consideration, so ensure you select a maker that you can afford to buy and maintain. The most affordable coffee maker on this list is Famiworth’s iced coffee maker with a price of approximately $55.
The next consideration is the amount of space it will take up on your counter, in which case the Wirsh coffee maker is the best option as it is compact with dimensions of 4,9 by 8,5 by 12,2 inches.
Finally, look for a coffee maker that will make life slightly easier. If you do not have time to run to the store to buy new coffee pods, you may have ground coffee at home. In this case, the Keurig K-Elite and K-Supreme will not be the best option for you as they cannot be used with coffee grounds and k-cups.
This article should have given you some clarity and by now you should have a better idea of which of the options will be the best pod coffee maker for you.