For coffee lovers who like to enjoy more than 1 cup a day, finding a way to make the process smoother is important. Similarly, ensuring your caffeine fix tastes good and like a professionally made cup can be a priority for some. This is the point where most people invest in a coffee maker, some of which can be clunky.
In this article, we are going to look at our top picks of the best small coffee makers. This will help you decide which machine you want to invest in, that will not take up space on your counter or become an eyesore in your kitchen.
What to Consider Before Buying a Small Coffee Maker
How to Choose a Coffee Maker
Before you buy a coffee machine, there are various things you need to consider. First is the budget you have available for the unit. It is no good to buy a coffee machine if it then going to leave you with negative feelings that will lead you to not use the machine from guilt.
It is therefore incredibly important to set a budget that you are comfortable with, and then stick to that budget. Some people may have more money available to spend than others but for your peace of mind, you should select a coffee machine that is within your budget.
The next consideration you need to make is the amount of space you have available for the coffee machine. Although all these units are considered small, you may find that there are a few that do not fit in the space you have allocated. You should therefore keep the measurements of the machine in mind when making a choice.
Find the area in your kitchen where the coffee maker will be set up and take note of the width, depth, and height of the area. This will then allow you to recognize immediately whether a particular coffee machine will slot into the space easily.
Attributes That Differentiate Small Coffee Makers
The first attribute that differentiates coffee machines is the size of the unit. Although these machines are ‘small’ coffee makers, that is based on the total volume of the machine. Any unit may be taller or wider, or take up more depth than another so, although the volume may be different, the measurements will differ.
Next is the type of coffee maker you are considering. There are coffee makers available on the market that only use coffee grounds as they are incapable of grinding coffee beans. Alternatively, some units can work with both beans and coffee grounds with a built-in grinder to break up the slid bean.
Finally, there are coffee makers that accept only coffee pods, with an additional consideration being that these units may only work with coffee pods from the same brand. You, therefore, need to look at how you want to make your coffee and what you would expect from the coffee maker you buy.
Other types of coffee makers that you may want to consider include a drip coffee maker that requires additional space widthwise and may require coffee filters. Pour-over coffee makers will require a paper filter and will take longer to brew.
Things to Look For In Small Coffee Makers
To make this decision easier for you, you need to take these steps. First, set your budget for what you are willing to spend on the coffee maker itself. If you are planning on buying a coffee maker that utilizes coffee pods, set a budget for how much you are willing to spend per month on these pods.
Next, use a tape measure and record the measurements of the space you have allocated for the coffee maker. You need to measure the width available where it will not be in the way of anything else, the depth of the counter space, and the height under which the coffee maker must fit.
Once you have taken these steps you are ready to start looking for which coffee maker you will be buying. Take note of the colors of the machine and ensure they will not stand out negatively, and any add-ons that may require additional space.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Coffee Maker?
There are many advantages to having a coffee maker, with the first being that it is convenient. With some coffee machines, you can program them to turn on and brew fresh coffee at a particular time, allowing you the option to wake up to fresh coffee with ease.
Another advantage is that you can make fresh coffee easily. There is no need to go to a coffee shop to purchase freshly brewed coffee, and it removes the necessity to have instant coffee.
If you are someone who prefers an espresso-based drink, coffee makers will allow you this option as the brewed coffee will have a stronger flavor.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Best Small Coffee Maker
|Black+Decker CM1160B||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Mr. Coffee 2129512||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|KRUPS Simply Brew||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|L'OR The Barista System||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Keurig K-Mini, Single Serve K-Cup Pod||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Capresso 5-Cup Mini Drip||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Famiworths Single Serve||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Coffee Maker by Cuisinart||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
Top 8 Best Small Coffee Makers
1. Black + Decker CM1160B 12-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker
If you are looking for a coffee maker that can make a great deal of coffee at a specific time, then Black + Decker’s programmable coffee machine is a good option. As a Moka pot-styled coffee machine, you can ensure the full flavor of the coffee is extracted from the grounds.
This coffee maker is programmable, allowing you to control when the machine makes the next batch of coffee. Additionally, there is a timer that shows how long it will take until the pot is full and can be removed.
A removable water tank makes it easy to refill the coffee maker before the next use. The window into the water tank allows you to monitor the water level within the machine.
Black + Decker’s coffee machine is made with stainless steel which will last a long time, making this a good investment piece.
- Price: This unit can be bought for approximately $39, making it an affordable coffee machine that can be bought with most budgets. As you are using normal coffee grounds with this coffee maker, there is a little additional cost to factor in.
- Capacity: The water tank can hold up to 60 ounces of water which is equivalent to 12 cups of coffee. You can therefore make a great deal of coffee with a single brew making it ideal for office kitchens or large family households.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 8,25 by 12,25 by 11 inches, this unit is compact and easy to fit into small spaces on a kitchen counter. You will need to access the top of the machine to add the coffee grounds so ensure there is enough space under your kitchen cabinets before purchasing.
2. Mr. Coffee 2129512 5-Cup Mini Brew Coffee Maker
Mr. Coffee has created a mini brew coffee maker that is ideal for those looking to make 5 cups of coffee with little fuss. This unit comes in black or white, meaning you can select a coffee maker that better suits the décor in your kitchen.
It has a water window that is easy to view, allowing you to monitor how much water is still in the machine, making it easy to track when it must be refilled. There is an auto-pause function that allows you to stop the brewing to pour a cup of coffee, before resuming.
As a compact and lightweight unit (weighing 2,87 pounds) this coffee maker is easy to install and store if needed. It is made with a filter basket that catches used coffee grounds and makes it easy to empty and clean the machine before the next use.
- Price: For $32, this unit is more affordable than other options on this list. This price reflects the simple design and the easy-to-use quality of the unit. It does not require too much work before the coffee can be made, making it an appealing and worthwhile coffee machine.
- Capacity: As a mini brew coffee maker, this machine holds more water than expected. It can hold enough water at a time to make 5 cups of coffee (25 ounces of water).
- Dimensions: This coffee maker has dimensions of 10,71 by 9,76 by 7,17 meaning it takes up more space on the counter. However, less space is required above the machine meaning this is suitable to be situated under a kitchen cabinet.
3. KRUPS Simply Brew Compact Filter Drip Coffee Maker
If you are looking for a drip coffee maker that can make multiple cups of coffee and keep your coffee warm after brewing, then the KRUPS coffee maker is a good option. Aside from the 5-cup option, KRUPS has single-serving sizes and 10-cup sizes available, although these units are larger height-wise.
The coffee maker has a cup warmer which can keep your coffee warm for longer, as well as a pause and brew feature. This feature allows you to stop the machine mid-brew, allowing you to make less coffee than the machine can make.
With a dishwasher-safe coffee pot and stainless steel as the primary material, this coffee machine is durable and will last a long time. You can gain enough value from this coffee machine over the years to make it worthwhile and worth the price.
Stainless steel will not rust when exposed to water, making it an ideal material.
- Price: At a price of approximately $40, this coffee maker is a mid-range unit when it comes to how much you would need to spend. Given that you can make 5 cups of coffee at once with this unit, the price may be well worth it for some.
- Capacity: As said above, this coffee maker can make 5 cups of coffee at once, meaning you do not need to refill the tank as often. When refilling is needed, the coffee maker has a large opening on top of the unit to make it easy to pour the water in.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 5,71 by 8,07 by 10,08 inches, this unit takes up less space on the counter but requires space above. Additionally, you will need to ensure there is adequate space on top of the unit to lift the flap sealing the water tank.
4. L’OR The Barista System Coffee and Espresso Machine
For someone who wants the ease of using coffee pods to make their coffee, and the ability to make coffee shop quality coffees, the L’OR barista system is the ideal option. This unit is compatible with L’OR single-serve coffee pods as well as Nespresso coffee pods, making it more versatile and providing greater options for users.
Using Dual-Capsule Recognition Technology (DCRT), this coffee maker allows you to brew 6 different coffee sizes with additional buttons allowing you to select the size immediately. This is a good option for families or households where some individuals prefer espresso-sized drinks while others prefer larger coffees.
To make this coffee machine more enticing, L’OR has developed the unit to form frothy, crema layers on top of brewed coffees. This adds a pleasing visual element to your beverage and gives it a barista quality that improves the overall experience.
- Price: At a price of approximately $189, this is an expensive coffee maker and may be out of most budgets. The price is reflective of the skill taken to create this coffee maker, the coffee maker being an espresso machine, and the additional features used to make it unique.
- Capacity: The water tank can hold 40 ounces of water which reduces the frequency at which you need to refill the tank. This is comparable to 5 cups of coffee when using 8 ounces as the accepted standard size.
- Dimensions: This coffee maker has dimensions of 16 inches by 7 inches by 11 inches. The water tank is removable and situated around the bank of the unit so you would need to ensure adequate space to maneuver the water tank in and out of its slot. Additionally, the slot for coffee pods is situated on top to ensure adequate space above.
5. Keurig K-Mini Coffee Maker
If you are a fan of Keurig coffee pods and want a coffee machine that can make a single serving of coffee, then the K-Mini coffee maker is the right option for you. This coffee maker is available in 6 colors, including teal, green, pink, red, grey, and black.
The most appealing aspect of this coffee machine is the width. At only 4,5 inches wide, this unit is advertised as being able to fit anywhere, making it a good option for those with limited counter space available to fit a coffee machine. Additionally, it can be easily packed away and stored if extra space is needed.
This coffee machine is only compatible with k-cups which may be bothersome for some individuals. However, it can fit a travel mug up to 6 inches tall below the spout and can brew fresh coffee within minutes. This makes it suitable for those wanting to make a quick cup of coffee for the on-the-go.
- Price: Keurig’s coffee maker can be bought for approximately $80, making this a more expensive unit. As the price is higher, you need to consider whether the value you would get from this coffee maker would be worth the money you will need to spend on the unit and the additional k-cups required.
- Capacity: The water reservoir can hold up to 12 ounces of water at a time, meaning there is only enough water in the machine to make a single serving of coffee. However, if this is not a concern for you then the unit may be a good idea.
- Dimensions: This coffee maker has dimensions of 4,5 by 11,3 by 12,1, meaning it will take up slightly more space on the counter. Additionally, there is extra space required above the coffee maker as the flap to insert coffee pods is situated on top of the unit.
6. Capresso 5-Cup Mini Drip Coffee Maker
If you are looking for a coffee maker with no fuss, that simply makes hot and fresh coffee, then the Capresso Mini Drip is a good option. With a compact design and lack of confusing features, you can be assured that this unit will make your coffee at an affordable price.
This simple design reduces the additional money you will need to spend to make your coffee as there is no need for single-use paper filters. All you need to use this coffee maker is medium-sized coffee grounds and water making it simple to use.
Finally, a feature that makes this coffee maker more appealing is that it is programmable. This allows you to set a particular time when you would want fresh coffee and the machine will make the fresh brew.
An additional hot plate keeps the coffee warm for 2 hours before turning itself off, keeping your coffee ready for you.
- Price: At a price of approximately $40, this coffee machine is an affordable option for most people. A concern many may have is why the price is lower than others on this list with the reason being that the simple design and lack of additional attachments make it less costly to produce and thus to sell.
- Capacity: The carafe which collects the drip coffee can hold up to 5 cups of coffee, making it a good option for office kitchens where more coffee would be needed at once, or for larger families where the ease of multiple cups of coffee would be appreciated.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 8 by 6,25 by 10 inches, this is a compact unit that should not cause unnecessary clutter on your kitchen counter. The only additional consideration you would need to make is that the handle of the coffee pot juts out the side and the area to fill with coffee grounds is on top of the unit.
7. Famiworth’s Single Serve Coffee Maker for K Cup
For those who like coffee from k-cup coffee pods and want the ease of switching to coffee grounds when needed, Famiworth’s Single Serve Coffee Maker is a good option. This unit allows you to brew coffees containing 6 ounces to 14 ounces and can fit a travel mug to make it easier to take your coffee on the go.
The coffee ground basket can hold 0,9 ounces of coffee grounds which is enough to make a single cup of coffee. While some individuals may be concerned with the lack of ability to make multiple cups at a time, for others this may not be a concern.
Aside from the simple black option, this coffee machine is available in various colors including light blue, red, and pink. This gives you the option to buy a coffee machine that would fit the décor of your kitchen and act as a conversation piece.
- Price: Famiworth’s coffee machine is available for approximately $60 meaning it is slightly pricey. This may not be a suitable coffee machine for some budgets but the ability to use 2 coffee sources makes it worth the price.
- Capacity: Containing 14 ounces of water, this coffee maker holds enough water to make a single cup of coffee. This ties into the brand’s promise of a single-serve machine. There is space to hold a single coffee pod or enough coffee grounds for a single serving.
- Dimensions: This coffee maker has dimensions of 5 by 9 by 12 inches, making it another compact unit. However, although the unit does not take up much space on the counter, the height of 12 inches takes up space. Additionally, the coffee pods need to be inserted from the top of the unit taking up more space.
8. Coffee Maker by Cuisinart, 14-Cup
If you are looking for a coffee machine that can make a great deal of coffee at once, the Cuisinart 14-Cup coffee machine is a good option. As this is a drip coffee maker, the coffee is slowly brewed to ensure the full flavor of the coffee grounds is extracted, resulting in a rich and strong coffee.
An appealing feature of the coffee machine is that it is programmable, allowing you to set a specific time to brew the coffee. This makes it easier to wake up to freshly brewed coffee or schedule the coffee for after dinner with friends or family. This can be done up to 24 hours before the coffee is needed meaning you do not need to wait for long.
The water window is easy to access, making it easier to refill the machine between brews. Additionally, an automatic shutoff reduces the chances of electrical problems that may arise from water and electricity interacting.
- Price: At approximately $100, this is another coffee maker where you would need to consider the true value before purchasing it. The quality materials used to make the machine, the programmable quality, and the automatic shut-off can explain the higher price point of the coffee maker.
- Capacity: This coffee maker can hold up to 14 cups of coffee making it an ideal option for those wanting to brew a great deal of the beverage for office spaces or family gatherings without taking up too much space on the counter.
- Dimensions: With dimensions of 7,75 by 9 by 14 inches, this unit will not take up unnecessary space on the counter but will require more space above the unit. To fill the unit with coffee grounds, you must access the top of the unit, so this is not a good coffee maker to sit under a cabinet.
The Best Small Coffee Maker – Final Thoughts
Now that we have looked at the best small coffee makers that we have found, you should have a much better idea of which option you will be going with. Although they all meet the requirement for being small coffee makers, some are more compact than others.
If you are looking for the smallest coffee maker available, the best option would be the KRUPS Coffee Maker which will take up 5,71 inches by 8,07 inches of space on your counter and will need 10,08 inches of space above to fit comfortably in the chosen spot.
If you are more concerned about a unit fitting on the counter as opposed to the height of the unit, then Famiworth’s Single Serve coffee maker would be considered the best option as it will take up 5 inches by 9 inches on your counter, with 12 inches of space required height wise.