Bumbu Rum is a spiced rum that is distilled on the island of Barbados in the Caribbean and is based on original recipes developed by traders in the 16th and 17th centuries who used to blend spices into their rum.
Bumbu is a rum blended with ingredients from 8 countries: Barbados, Belize, Brazil, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Salvador, Guyana, and Honduras. Sugar cane plants are carefully selected from these countries and contribute to Bumbo rum’s unique flavor and aroma.
The heritage of Bumbu rum dates back over 4oo years when sailors and traders, unsatisfied with their daily ration of grog, added fruits and spices to enhance its flavor and gave it the name Bumbu.
Brett and Brian Berish, the owners of the international wine and spirit company Sovereign Brands, were inspired by the legendary recipe and recreated a modern expression of the ingredients and methods described in historical accounts.
Bumbu rum is made at the West Indies Rum Distillery, a historic distillery on the Caribbean island of Barbados. It was founded in 1893 and has continuously operated for more than 120 years.
How is Bumbu Rum made?
The sugar cane fermented for distillation in continuous column stills is sourced from some of the best sugar cane-producing countries in the world. The minerals and other elements in the chosen sugar cane contribute unique characteristics when distilled.
- Barbados – Soft and sweet with hints of vanilla and banana.
- Belize – Medium-bodied with notes of coffee and cacao.
- Brazil – Light and fruity with aromas of tropical fruits like mango and papaya.
- Costa Rica – Full-bodied and aromatic with hints of coriander and ginger.
- Dominican Republic – Full-bodied and sweet notes of toffee and vanilla.
- El Salvador – Dry and light with floral aromas and exceptional smoothness.
- Guyana – Rich, heavy, and earthy with chocolate and caramel flavours.
- Honduras – Medium-bodied with notes of orange and cinnamon.
The yeast used in the fermentation of Bumbo rum is a long-held secret that dates back to The naturally limestone-filtered water used in the distillation process and is crucial to the smooth, light rum produced.
Bumbu Original is distilled and matured for up to 15 years in American oak Bourbon barrels to give it that rich color and flavor and is bottled at 35% ABV.
Bumbu XO is a new offering by Bumbu rum that is distilled and aged in Panama. The rum is matured for up to 18 years in Bourbon barrels and then finished in Spanish white oak sherry casks. Bumbu XO is sold at 40% ABV.
Prices, Variations, and Sizes
Bumbu rum is produced in small batches and focuses on quality and authenticity rather than quantity. The brand has only three varieties: spiced rum, Bourbon barrel-aged dark rum, and a crème liqueur with a rum base.
Bumbu Original: Spiced Rum
Bumbu Original is the flagship product of Bumbu, crafted and based on the original recipe used by pirates and sailors to make their ration of rum more palatable. This rum is medium-bodied and lightly spiced. It is perfect for mixing into any cocktail that calls for spiced rum.
Bumbu XO: Dark Rum
Bumbu XO is a “small batch rum” aged in white oak bourbon barrels for up to 18 years. It comes in a stylish matte black bottle with a big silver X on the front. The XO is much more balanced on the palate than the Original and is recommended as an excellent sipping rum.
Bumbu XO has a deep golden hue with toffee, roasted oak, and vanilla aromas, with notes of orange peel, roasted coffee beans, and a touch of pepper.
Bumbu Crème: Liqueur
Bumbu crème is a creamy liqueur blended with Bumbo Original, additional spices, and rich dairy cream. This liqueur is rich but not heavy, with deep, complex aromas and flavors, including Chai, coconut, and cinnamon. Bumbu crème can be sipped chilled, on the rocks, or used in a cocktail.
Bumbu XO Limited Edition: Lil Wayne The Funeral Edition
Bumbu XO Limited Edition Lil Wayne Funeral commemorates the release of hip-hop megastar Lil Wayne’s 13th album, “Funeral.” The artist’s logo and album title are on the back of the rum bottle. The contents are the same as the regular Bumbu XO rum.
Average Retail Prices for Bumbu Rum
Item ABV Size Price
- Bumbu: The Original Rum 35% 750ml $37
- Bumbu XO 40% 750ml $41
- Bumbu XO: Lil Wayne Funeral Edition 40% 750ml $37
- Bumbu Crème 15% 750ml $28
Alternatives / Comparisons of Bumbu Rum
The following rums are worth considering as an alternative to Bumbu Rum Original or Bumbu XO:
- Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum – This dark rum is flavored with a blend of spices, with strong notes of vanilla and cinnamon. It is bottled at 47% ABV and is excellent in any rum-based cocktail.
- The Kraken Black Spiced Rum – A dark rum with strong notes of vanilla and nutmeg, a great rum to use to make a Mai Tai, a classic rum cocktail. Bottled at 47% ABV
- Boukman Botanical Rhum – is a Haitian Rhum made in the Agricole style from fresh sugar cane, not molasses, and is infused with barks, woods, and bitter orange producing a spiced rum with many layers that works perfectly in many drinks.
- Chairman’s Reserve – is made on the Caribbean island of St Lucia and is a full-bodied rum with hints of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, vanilla, and orange. It is perfect with your favorite mixer or in a cocktail and is bottled at 40% ABV.
- Captain Morgan Spiced Gold – has a rich golden color with notes of vanilla, brown sugar, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. It is the perfect spiced rum to serve with cola and is excellent in a Mojita and other rum-based cocktails.
How to Drink Bumbu Rum
Bumbu rum is ideal for sipping neat or on ice and is perfect for many rum-based cocktails.
Bumbu Rum Punch
- 5 oz Bumbu Original Rum
- 5 oz Pineapple Juice
- 75 oz Orange Juice
- Club Soda to fill
- Mint to Garnish
- Combine Bumbu, Pineapple, and orange juice in a shaker with ice
- Shake, and then strain into a glass with ice
- Top with club soda
- Garnish with a mint sprig
West Indies Sizzle
- 2 oz Bumbu Original
- 6 Mint leaves
- ¼ oz “Coconut palm sugar syrup.”
- ½ oz Fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz Fresh pineapple juice
- Place all ingredients into a Collins glass
- Add crushed ice and swizzle until the outside of the glass is frosted
- Top with crushed iced
Freaky Tiki Cocktail
- 2 oz Bumbu Original Rum
- 1 oz Pineapple juice
- 5 oz Fresh lime juice
- 5 oz 50/5 ratio of Campari and Grenadine
- 5 oz Orgeat Almond syrup
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker
- Pour strained ingredients over ice
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig
The following mixers can be used to highlight Bumbu Original’s smooth and spiced flavors:
- Cola – Coke or Pepsi mixes well with all Bumbu Original.
- Pineapple Juice mixes well with rum, and adding a small amount to your Bumbu will complement the spices and cut through the alcohol flavor a bit.
- Ginger Ale pairs perfectly with the spice blend in Bumbu.
Is Bumbu Rum Vegan?
Bumbu is vegan and can be enjoyed by vegan drinkers.
Does Bumbu come in different sizes?
Bumbu is only available in 750ml bottles
Who owns Bumbu Rum?
Sovereign Brands own Bumbu Rum Co., which is a family-owned international wine and spirit company headquartered in New York