Those who frequently consume alcoholic beverages will testify that the quality of the drink can greatly uplift or dampen your mood.
If you are looking for optimum indulgence in a drink, you should seriously consider Baileys, a renowned Irish cream liqueur. It promises luxury in a bottle because it combines cocoa, cream, and Irish whiskey.
Although Baileys had its origin elsewhere because of its excellent taste and quality, it is currently at the forefront of the most desired products that people export from Ireland.
This has led to the production of more than 80 million bottles annually. At least 180 different countries import Baileys every year, with America being the most dominant customer since it purchases more products than others.
History of Baileys
Baileys has a rich and interesting history. Contrary to what most people believe, Baileys was not founded in Ireland. Instead, it had its origin in 1973 in London because of the untiring effort of professionals engaged for this purpose.
The masterminds behind the creation of Baileys included Tom Jago from England, David Gluckman from South Africa, and Hugh Seymour-Davies, also the services of Gluckman and Seymour-Davies were employed to produce an alcoholic beverage that would evolve into one of Ireland’s major exports.
It was initially invented as a product for International Distillers & Vintners. Later, a union between W&A Gilbey and United Wine Traders created a new label called the Gilbeys of Ireland, which came to own Baileys.
Its manufacturing plants are now present at Nangor Road in Dublin, Ireland, and Mallusk, Northern Ireland. Here, experts carefully craft this unique liquor while maintaining strict standards.
The Gilbeys of Ireland is a famous label and, currently, it is represented by Diageo.
The Story behind the Name
The name Baileys is not Irish either. The name belonged to a restaurant called Bailey’s Bistro, situated in SoHo, London, whose owner was John Chesterman. He permitted W&A Gilbey to modify and adopt this as the selling name of their Irish Cream liquor.
Moreover, The Bailey’s Hotel in London motivated the fictitious signature, R.A. Bailey, although the owners did not retain the apostrophe in the registered label.
What Is Cream Liquor?
An alcoholic base such as brandy, vodka, or whiskey containing emulsified cream forms a cream liquor. The concentration of this concoction can vary depending on the amount of alcohol.
Most cream liquors also bear additional ingredients such as whole-milk powder, sugar, non-fat milk solids, coloring, flavoring, thickening agents, and preservatives to make the product last longer.
Chemicals like sodium caseinate make the liquor denser and stabilize the concoction to stop the alcohol and cream from dividing.
How It Is Usually Made
There are three main steps in the process of making cream liquors:
- Experts spread the powdered ingredients into the liquid base. This is either cream or alcohol or a water-based medium according to the need
- The different ingredients undergo premixing so a pre-emulsion can form
- Experts then use a homogenizer at high pressure to perform Homogenization. This forms a stable product in which the phases do not separate in the packaging
How is Baileys Irish Cream Liquor different?
An emulsifier holding refined vegetable oil helps in this process. Homogenization is essential because it thwarts alcohol and cream from separating when in storage.
Baileys Irish Cream Liquor is different because it has a rich chocolaty taste since it follows an original recipe using cocoa extract.
Not only does this impart a luxurious flavor to Baileys, but it also gives it a pleasing aroma. Additional ingredients include herbs and sugar.
Moreover, Baileys is devoid of all chemical preservatives. The manufacturer claims that the concentration of alcohol present in Baileys is sufficient to preserve the cream. Hence there is no need for adding preservatives.
Where Do The Ingredients Come From?
The company sources premium raw materials from the most reliable suppliers to ensure excellent quality every time. The cream comes from an Irish dairy brand called Glanbia.
The main installation under Glanbia is present in County Cavan, where it makes a variety of milk powders and cream fresh regularly. Since it follows strict quality control and hygiene, it has earned Baileys’ trust.
Hence Baileys has been purchasing cream primarily from Glanbia for the last thirty years. When the industry is booming and the demand for cream increases, the Ballyragget facility of Glanbia in Kilkenny also delivers cream to Baileys.
Moreover, Baileys has its bottles made by Encirc Glass Plant in Derrylin, Co. Fermanagh.
Flavors available in Baileys
Baileys has come out with many flavors to choose from so that there is something for all types of customers. Baileys Original Irish Cream is a customer favorite that has been around since the start.
However, other varieties that are present all year include the following.
- Baileys Salted Caramel
- Baileys Espresso Creme
- Baileys Chocolate Cherry
- Baileys Vanilla Cinnamon
Each of these flavors is rich and decadent and pleasing to the senses. Baileys also introduces seasonal varieties at specific times of the year so that the customers have something to look forward to.
The seasonal Baileys Pumpkin Spice flavor and the vegan Baileys Almande Almond Milk provide the ultimate experience during the holiday season. Further concoctions which are part of a limited edition comprise the following.
- Baileys Strawberries & Cream
- Baileys Chocolat Luxe
- Baileys Dulce de Leche
How do people drink Baileys?
There are many ways in which you can enjoy Baileys. Depending on your mood, you can consume Baileys just by itself with some ice cubes for a refreshing kick, or if you feel like experimenting and indulging yourself, you can mix it with additional ingredients to form a cocktail.
Many people enjoy having Baileys straight with ice since it has a unique taste all by itself. Some people also like to incorporate Baileys in Irish coffee, hot chocolate, or milkshakes for a more potent dose of relaxation.
Either way, you are sure to enjoy yourself because every Baileys bottle contains the highest quality ingredients for a luxurious experience.
Baileys and Coffee
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. of Baileys
- 2 tbsp. to 3 tbsp. of Irish whiskey
- 1 tbsp. of brown sugar
- 1 cup of coffee
Steps to perform
- Brew strong coffee at home using a French press or automatic drip machine using good quality coffee beans.
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream and 3 tablespoons of Baileys into a bowl and, using an electric mixer combine the two until stiff peaks form.
- Take a container and add 2 tablespoons to 3 tablespoons of Irish whiskey since it is traditionally used in Irish coffee. However, you are free to utilize bourbon, whiskey, or rye if you prefer. Also, incorporate 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and mix well. If you don’t have brown, you can use white sugar or another sweetener as well.
- Pour around 1 cup of this concoction into a tall glass making sure to leave at least 0.5 inches at the top for adding the whipped cream. Before serving this drink, add a dollop of whipped cream you prepared using Baileys earlier on.
- 0.2 oz. Baileys
- 1 oz. Vodka
- 1 oz. espresso
- Ice cubes
Steps to perform
- Prepare a fresh pot of strong espresso using a French press or automatic drip. Make sure to use high-quality coffee beans to get the ideal beverage
- Take a cocktail shaker and add all the ingredients, including the ice cubes
- Shake the ingredients until they combine well and the concoction is cold
- Use a strainer to pour the drink into a martini glass for a tasteful and refreshing drink
Baileys and Hot Chocolate
- 1 packet of Hot chocolate mix
- 2 oz. Baileys
- chocolate sauce for garnish
Steps to perform
- Begin by heating the cocoa powder, sugar, and milk in a pan and mixing well to form hot chocolate. Since you will add Baileys at the end, you can make hot chocolate using your favorite recipe, or use Instant hot chocolate sachets. You can also opt for hot chocolate mixes having mint or caramel flavor.
- Then add in 2 oz. of Baileys per 1 cup of hot chocolate. It is always better to begin with less liquor and add more after tasting.
- If you pour in Baileys while it is at room temperature, it will not cool down your hot chocolate too much, so you will have to leave the mixture on the stove for only a minute or more. However, if you add chilled Baileys, you will have to continue warming the drink for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then, pour the Baileys hot chocolate into a cup and decorate with marshmallows or add a dollop of whipped cream, for ultimate decadence. You can also garnish with chocolate shavings. To take things up a notch, consider drizzling some chocolate sauce or adding a chocolate cookie!
Is Baileys Gluten-free?
For many consumers who experience problems with gluten intolerance, this question is of extreme importance.
Fortunately, all the ingredients involved in making Baileys are gluten-free, so it is suitable for anyone with gluten allergies.
Is Baileys Vegan-friendly?
Although the original Baileys is not vegan friendly in recent years, the increase in the popularity of veganism has motivated Baileys to come out with a vegan-friendly alternative called Baileys Almande, which incorporates almond milk instead of cow milk.
Hence it has a lower density and is not as rich as the original version.
Additionally, it has a subtle almond flavor which may be apparent at first. However, if you give yourself time to adjust to this flavor by drinking it in moderation for a few days, you will find it suitable because it is quite light and refreshing.
Also, the vegan version of Baileys’ price will vary from the original version because of the difference in the ingredients.
Baileys Price, Variations & Sizes
Baileys prices can differ depending on the size of the bottle and also the flavor you are interested in. Even though some people may find Baileys prices higher than other alcoholic beverages, it is because Baileys uses richer ingredients and delivers a unique taste.
Given below is a table summarizing Baileys prices.
|Type of Baileys||Size||Price in dollars|
|Baileys Original Irish Cream||1l||30|
|Baileys Original Irish Cream||750ml||25|
|Baileys Red Velvet||750ml||25|
|Baileys Espresso Crème||750ml||25|
|Baileys Apple Pie||750ml||25|
|Baileys Vanilla Cinnamon||750ml||25|
At Baileys, there is something for all the consumers, seasonal varieties are a cherry on top! Therefore, hurry up and purchase your next bottle from the many delicious options available and experience great-tasting liquor!