Wine stoppers are decorative pieces that are used to seal off the top of a wine bottle after the cork is removed. These popular wine accessories range from basic and straightforward to expensive and intricate, and choosing the best wine stopper for you comes down to weighing which factors are most important to you.
We have compiled a list of the most popular features to keep an eye out for when shopping for your next wine stopper, along with our choices for the best wine stoppers currently available.
Choosing the Right Wine Stopper
There are many different styles when it comes to wine stoppers, and options can range from simple homemade designs to high-end wine stoppers featuring different technologies and high-end materials. Taking a look at these important factors is the best way to simplify the wine-stopper shopping process.
Price and Budget
While there are a handful of high-end artisan wine stoppers on the market that can cost thousands of dollars, the majority of options available to wine enthusiasts today are fairly affordable, and most fall into the under $20 range.
The most simple and straightforward options often come in a “multi pack” that includes more than one wine stopper, sometimes in a variety of colors. These options are great for those who often find themselves with multiple bottles left unfinished at the end of dinners or parties.
Wine stopper options that fall toward the middle of the average price spectrum will sometimes include two stoppers at a flat price, though single stoppers are just as common at this price point. These mid-range options often feature sleek designs with shiny metal and rubber seals.
Some of the more high-end wine stoppers on the market when it comes to price feature innovations that are meant to remove oxygen from the wine bottle before storage. These can either feature pumps or levers and can help to moderately prolong the shelf life of wine.
Some wine enthusiasts are confused at first when it comes to deciding the right amount to spend on a wine stopper, as shopping for one is not necessarily straightforward. With wine itself, spending enough money for good quality is important, and some wonder if the same principle applies to wine stoppers.
When it comes to performance, there is very little difference between different designs when it comes to preserving wine. The purpose of a wine stopper is simply to seal off the top of the bottle from oxygen, and there are many different ways to achieve this simple task.
Many people choose to simply use the bottle’s original cork as a wine stopper, which works completely fine in lieu of a “real” wine stopper. Due to the fact that performance is less of a factor, choosing the right budget for a wine stopper usually comes down to aesthetics.
Similar to the wine decanter, many people choose to spend hundreds of dollars on wine stoppers as a display of elegance and style. While wine can be decanted in just about anything, including a large bowl or tupperware, there is a certain elegance that comes with being poured from shiny crystal stemware.
The same principle is true with wine stoppers, and many people tend to match their style of wine stoppers with their tastes in wine.
For example, many fans of everyday affordable wine choose to use simple wine stoppers, while those who prefer high-end bottles will use upscale wine stoppers.
Style and Aesthetics
There are many different approaches that companies take when it comes to designing wine stoppers, with the common theme between them all being the ability to seal off a bottle of wine at the “neck” area of the glass bottle.
The most simple designs on the market when it comes to wine stoppers often feature a single piece of rubber or plastic-based material. These are often tapered, with a wider diameter at the top compared to the bottom, and there are often thin rings in the middle that seal off the bottle.
These simple designs are often available in a variety of different colors and patterns, as it is fairly easy for the producer to use the same mold to make hundreds of different colors and rubber or plastic variations.
There are also many options that feature a similar tapered design but are constructed of more premium materials including metals like stainless steel, copper, and silver. These metallic options also use thin rubber rings that work as gaskets to seal off oxygen from the wine.
Beyond the most simple and straightforward designs, there are a number of different unique options that are designed with the intention of improving performance. These versions are often designed to try and remove oxygen from the bottle before sealing, helping better preserve wine.
There are some options on the market that use levers or pumps in an effort to try and remove oxygen from inside the bottle. These often feature a one-way valve that allows air to be removed from the bottle without letting any outside oxygen inside.
The most high-end options on the market are often fairly simple and minimalistic in terms of design but are constructed using some of the most high-end materials available. These can be made of gold and platinum, and some even feature precious stones and crystals.
With so many different options on the market today, some customers are wary about which companies to trust when it comes to the production of high-quality wine stoppers. There are more new online-based businesses selling these items than ever before, and not all companies are trustworthy.
The best way to ensure a high-quality and reliable product is to choose a trusted company that has been in the wine business for many years. These well-established companies will have a good reputation for both customer service and reliability.
One of the best ways to check on the reputation of any given wine stopper production company is to search for the company’s name on the website of the Better Business Bureau. High-quality companies will hold at least an A rating, and the best will be rated an A plus.
Delivery Cost and Time
One of the most important factors when it comes to choosing the best wine stopper is the method of delivery. Some companies charge a different amount for shipping depending on location, while others offer flat rates or free shipping options.
Some of the best options on the market when it comes to shipping time and cost are offered through the large online retailer Amazon. Amazon Prime members are able to receive two-day shipping on eligible purchases, and there is no added charge for delivery.
When shopping for a wine stopper on websites other than Amazon, it is important to pay attention to the shipping options that are offered. The best companies will offer a number of different options at different prices and delivery times.
For those who prefer to take a look at products up close and personal before purchasing, there are a number of different brick-and-mortar retailers that sell wine stoppers as well. While there will be a more limited inventory compared to online, there are no shipping costs and purchases can be enjoyed on the same day.
Certain wine-stopper models on the market today have special features that can make a world of difference for some customers. There are some models that showcase one-way valves and pumps, while others have interesting features like led lights.
There are some wine stoppers on the market today that can be customized in a number of different ways, which are some of the best options when it comes to gift giving. These customizations include everything from laser engraving to personalized images.
Some of the more high-end wine stoppers on the market are designed to remove oxygen from the bottle, which is meant to extend the life of an opened wine bottle. These often include special pumps, and some even connect to vacuum sealer kitchen appliances.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Wine Stoppers on the Market
|OWO Wine Bottle Stopper||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Vacuum Wine Stoppers||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Rabbit Bottle Stoppers||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Twin House Funny Flat Wine Stoppers||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Crystal Wine and Beverage Bottle Stopper||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
Top 5 Wine Stoppers on the Market
With so many different wine-stopper options to choose from today, many customers can quickly become overwhelmed during the shopping process. We have highlighted five of the best options that are for sale today, and taken a closer look at the most important features of each.
1. OWO Wine Bottle Stopper
- Available in seven different color options
- Sleek design with shiny metal and an interesting handle
- Removes oxygen from the bottle using lever style handle
- Available in one, two, three, and six packs
- Simple to operate and clean
- One of the most unique designs on the market today
- Not all customers appreciate the large lever handle
- Many have reported that the vacuum valve is not very effective in the preservation process
- Some people prefer a more traditional look and design
2. Vacuum Wine Stoppers
- Simple and sleek design with an elegant rounded top
- Push pump operation is both intuitive and effective
- Features integrated pump and one-way valve
- Simple to both clean and operate
- Features fast and free shipping through Amazon
- Comes with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee
- Not all customers prefer the look and feel of ABS plastic
- Some have questioned how effective oxygen removal is over time
- Not one of the most affordable options on the market
3. Rabbit Bottle Stoppers
- Comes from a trusted brand that is well-known for making wine openers
- Includes four wine stoppers in different colors for under $10
- Available in many different color variations
- Simple design is easy to use and has a sleek look
- Can be placed in the dishwasher for simple cleaning
- One of the most straightforward quality options available today
- Does not feature any valves or oxygen removal system
- Some people prefer wine stoppers made out of metal
- The Rabbit brand is known for value, while some prefer more high-end brand names
4. Twin House Funny Flat Wine Stoppers
- Can be used for both beer and wine bottles
- One of the best options when it comes to giving as a gift
- Features six different stoppers with fun wine bases slogans
- Simple design has a clean rustic look
- One of the most unique and fun options available today
- Not all customers enjoy the simple wooden design
- The slogans and messages are not for everyone
- Does not offer any oxygen-removal components
5. Crystal Wine and Beverage Bottle Stopper
- One of the most visually impressive options on the market today
- Features a large shiny diamond-shaped top made of glass
- The rest of the stopper is constructed of shiny zinc alloy
- Sleek design is a true showstopper
- One of the best options for giving with a bottle as a gift
- Comes with two shiny wine stoppers at a very affordable price
- Does not remove oxygen from the bottle of wine
- Can be chipped, cracked, or broken as it is made from glass
While there are many different options to choose from when it comes to shopping for a new wine stopper, the best choice for the majority of people is the Rabbit Bottle Stopper.
It comes with the reliability of the trusted Rabbit name, which is one of the most popular companies on the market when it comes to affordable wine openers. It features a simple design and comes with four different colored wine stoppers at an affordable price.
Click here to take a look at the Rabbit Bottle Stopper, and decide for yourself if it is the best wine stopper for you! Also, for more gift-giving ideas check out our articles on the best wine gift sets and the best wine glass charms.