When it comes to traditional-style drip coffee machines, 12-cup varieties are among the most popular options on the market next to 16 cup versions. Many coffee enthusiasts claim that 12 cup coffee makers brew the perfect amount of coffee each morning, and these machines are very popular in households with multiple coffee drinkers.
There is no shortage of options on the market today when it comes to different 12 cup coffee makers, and this guide will highlight what to look for when shopping for a new coffee machine for your home.
at a glance: Best 12 Cup Coffee Maker
Choosing the Right 12 Cup Coffee Maker
There are many different options when it comes to 12 cup coffee makers on the market today, and choosing the right option for your needs can seem daunting at first.
While many of these 12 cup drip coffee makers may look the same at first glance, there are five factors that are most important to pay attention to when comparing options.
Price and Value
One of the best things about purchasing a new 12 cup coffee maker is the fact that they are generally affordable. These machines are fairly simple compared to high-tech espresso makers, and many of the best 12 cup coffee makers on the market cost under $100.
Another great thing about selecting a traditional drip-style 12 cup coffee maker is the fact that they are generally very durable, and it does not take an expensive machine to produce high-quality cups of coffee each morning.
These machines are simple to operate as well as clean and maintain, meaning that many 12-cup drip-style coffee machines can operate for years to come. There are also percolator-style 12-cup coffee makers, which are also very durable and feature simple and traditional designs.
Design and Materials
Due to the fact that 12 cup coffee makers are generally affordable, there is little reason to “cheap out” when it comes to a quality machine. The best options on the market are designed thoughtfully to produce high-quality coffee with maximum durability.
High-quality 12 cup coffee makers are produced using high-quality parts and hardware, making them very dependable and consistent. The majority of them feature plastic housings, and carafes are either made of glass or stainless steel.
It is also important to take a close look around your kitchen before purchasing a new coffee machine to ensure you are choosing an option that blends in well with your design theme.
Choosing an aesthetically pleasing machine is important, as many people choose to display their machines on countertops between uses.
Features and Options
One of the most important aspects of selecting the best 12 cup coffee machine for your needs is taking a look at the features and capabilities of each option. The most simple coffee machines on the market feature simple on and off switch operations, while others have additional options.
Automatic timers make it easy to “preload” your coffee machine the day before use, allowing you to wake up to freshly brewed coffee at your chosen time. This simple upgrade can make a major difference in terms of convenience and daily operation.
Another important feature is an “auto shut off” component on the warming plate, which helps avoid any accidents if you forget to turn off your machines before leaving your house for work.
Nearly all of the top machines on the market will showcase this feature, but it is always a good idea to double-check before buying.
Quality of Coffee
Not all 12 cup coffee machines are created equally in terms of the quality of coffee they produce, and it is important to keep an eye out for what makes one machine better than another.
Aside from using high-quality parts and materials, there are certain design elements that have a major impact on the quality of coffee produced.
One thing to look out for when comparing different 12 cup coffee machines is a drip or “shower” area that features a multi-holed spout. This allows hot water to be more evenly distributed across the coffee grounds, preventing “channeling” and ensuring better flavor.
Retailer and Shipping
Another important factor that is often overlooked when it comes to coffee machine shopping is the retailer selling the machine, and how it will be delivered.
While brick-and-mortar stores make it easy to take your new machine home on the same day, online retailers vary in terms of both shipping costs and delivery windows.
Choosing a major online retailer like Amazon is a great way to ensure that your new coffee machine will be delivered promptly and safely. They offer free two-day shipping for prime members, which is one of the best shipping programs in the industry.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Best 12 Cup Coffee Maker
|BLACK+DECKER 12-Cup* Programmable Coffeemaker||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Mr. Coffee Brew Now or Later Coffee Maker||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Cuisinart DCC-1200P1 Brew Central 12-Cup Coffee Maker||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Hamilton Beach Programmable Coffee Maker||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Amazon Basics 12-Cup Coffee Maker with Reusable Filter||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
Top Five 12 Cup Coffee Makers
With so many different 12 cup coffee makers on the market today, many people find it difficult to pinpoint which model is best suited for their needs.
We have hand-selected five of the top-selling and most highly reviewed options on the market to help simplify the shopping process.
1. Black and Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
Black and Decker is a highly respected manufacturer that has developed a very good reputation for making everything from high-quality power tools to dependable and durable coffee makers. Their 12-cup model is one of the company’s top sellers, and it includes many different thoughtful features.
The Black and Decker 12 Cup Programmable Coffeemaker comes with a 24-hour auto brew function that makes it easy to wake up to a fresh pot of coffee each morning. It also allows you to change the brew strength of the coffee, making it a great option for those who prefer a stronger taste.
Another interesting feature that is present on this highly dependable 12 cup coffee machine is the “sneak a cup” function, which automatically pauses brewing when the carafe is removed.
This allows you to pour a cup of coffee before the brew cycle has completed, which is a thoughtful touch not present on many other models.
- Has a great reputation for dependability and high quality
- Allows users to select from different brew strengths
- A fairly affordable coffee maker considering the deep list of features
- 24-hour auto-brew function allows you to pre-set a brewing time
- Filter basket can be removed and washed easily
- Produced by a high-quality manufacturer with a very good reputation worldwide
- Only available in a black and silver finish with no other color options
- Some people don’t like the look of the enlarged buttons and green display
- Does not showcase any intricate high-end technological features
2. Mr. Coffee Brew Now or Later
When it comes to traditional drip-style electric coffee makers and espresso machines, Mr. Coffee is one of the most recognizable names on the market. The Mr. Coffee brand can be found everywhere from office buildings to hotels, and the 12 cup Brew Now or Later machine is one of their top sellers.
This machine showcases a sleek glass carafe that is tapered, which gives it a sleek look. It features two simple buttons on the front for easy operation that is labeled “Brew Now” and “Brew Later.” The timer is also simple to operate and uses two simple buttons to set the hour and minute.
Another simple but thoughtful feature that is present on this particular model of 12 cup coffee maker is the transparent window attached to the water reservoir. This makes it easy to keep an eye on how much water you have added to the machine to ensure the proper water-to-coffee ratio.
- Made by a highly trusted brand that has a good reputation for quality
- One of the most simple machines on the market to operate
- Makes high-quality coffee and is known for its durability
- Features a sleek design with a unique glass carafe
- Allows people to take a cup of coffee before the brew cycle is finished
- Transparent window on the water reservoir makes it easy to get the right ratio
- Only available in one finish style and color
- Some people claim that the water heat up takes longer than other machines
- The reusable filter quickly becomes worn and traditional filters are recommended
3. Cuisinart Brew Central 12 Cup Coffeemaker
Cuisinart is another well-known company that has a long-established reputation for making high-quality kitchen appliances. The Cuisinart company produces everything from blenders and cookware to kitchen knives and coffee makers, and they have a great reputation for customer service.
One of the first things that stand out to many people when taking a look at the Cuisinart Brew Central 12 Cup Coffeemaker for the first time is the fact that it is priced at just under $100. This is fairly expensive compared to the majority of other 12 cup coffee makers on the market, and this machine has some premium features to justify the price.
One of the best features of the Cuisinart Brew Central 12 Cup Coffeemaker is the fact that it showcases temperature control settings. This is a fairly advanced feature not present on many other models, and it allows users to fully customize their brew cycle.
- Has temperature control for maximum customization
- Comes with a permanent filter that rinses off easily between uses
- Different cup settings can be selected for a less than full pot of coffee
- Available in two different color finishes allowing it to fit into any kitchen
- Automatically alerts customers when it is time to decalcify the machine
- The brew cycle automatically pauses when carafe is removed
- One of the more expensive 12 cup coffee machines on the market
- A fairly large and heavy machine that takes up more space than other models
- Some people prefer the upgraded version with touchscreen controls
4. Hamilton Beach Programmable Coffee Maker
Hamilton Beach is a company that specializes in producing economical kitchen appliances that are both high in quality and priced lower than the majority of the competition. Their 12 cup programmable coffee maker features a unique design and it has quickly become one of the more popular machines on the market today.
One of the best design features of the Hamilton Beach Programmable Coffee Maker is the fact that both the coffee grounds and water can be added from the front of the machine.
The water reservoir has a flip-up hatch for easy filling, while the coffee grounds compartment swings out forward. This saves users from having to lift the lid of the entire coffee machine, which is a thoughtful feature that many people who live in tighter kitchen spaces appreciate very much.
It also has a two-hour automatic shutoff feature, which helps avoid any accidents if you forget to turn off the machine after use.
- Both the water reservoir and coffee grounds area are accessible from the front
- Automatically lets you know when it is time to clean the machine
- The auto timer feature is simple to operate and the LED screen is easy to read
- There is a one to four-cup option that automatically adjusts settings for smaller brews
- Brew strength can be customized to make stronger or more mild coffee styles
- The power button is prominently displayed and fairly large
- Some people do not like the unique look of this machine
- There are other companies on the market with better reputations for quality
- There is only one finish and color scheme to choose from
5. Amazon Basics 12 Cup Coffee Maker
For many years, the Amazon company has been privately labeling products and bringing them to market, providing their customers with low-cost alternatives to common products that are of comparable quality.
The Amazon Basics 12 Cup Coffee Maker is a fairly simple machine that is made up to the standard of many other entry-level coffee makers on the market today. It does not feature any high-end features or LED displays and instead showcases a simple one-switch operation.
What this machine lacks in high-end features and “bells and whistles,” it makes up for with thoughtful features like the translucent water reservoir window and automatic pause functionality. It is also a very reasonably priced machine, which is one of the reasons it is such a popular seller.
- Simple and clean design that is on par with other top coffee makers
- One of the easiest 12 cup coffee makers to operate and keep clean
- Uses a permanent coffee filter that is easily rinsed out between uses
- Many people trust and enjoy using the Amazon Basics brand
- Transparent window on the water reservoir makes it easy to avoid filling mistakes
- Does not feature any auto brew feature or timer
- There are no other options in terms of color and finish
- Some people do not like the fact that the Amazon Basics logo is prominently displayed
The Best 12 Cup Coffee Maker – Conclusion
While there are many different 12 cup coffee makers on the market today that are considered to be of high quality, the Mr. Coffee Brew Now or Later is the best option for the widest variety of coffee enthusiasts. It showcases all of the features present on other comparable machines at a very reasonable price point.
Click here to take a look at the Mr. Coffee Brew Now or Later for yourself, and feel free to leave a comment below letting other coffee enthusiasts know what you think about this popular 12 Cup Coffeemaker!