Advent calendars are a fun way to mark down the days leading up to Christmas in the holiday season, and there are a number of different alcohol-themed versions for adults to enjoy.
One of the most popular styles of adult-themed Advent calendars over the past several years has been beer Advent calendars, and there are a number of different companies that have gained popularity for producing the best options on the market.
In this article, we will take a look at the best beer advent calendars that will make the perfect gift for a friend or family member.
Choosing the Right Beer Advent Calendar
There are many different styles of Advent calendars on the market today, and choosing the best beer-themed one comes down to weighing a number of different factors and deciding which one is best to fit your particular needs and preferences.
Price and Value
Cost and price are two of the most important factors for the majority of customers when it comes to shopping for just about anything during the holiday season. With so many gifts to purchase and events to attend, many people would like to keep expenses low throughout December.
There are three main factors to consider when determining the value of any given beer Advent calendar, which are price, the number, and types of beers included. Certain calendars contain 12 beers, while others come with 24 for a full-length Advent calendar.
Online-based beer delivery company “Give Them Beer” offers a number of different beer-themed advent calendars, each of which contains 12 beers and costs around $80. This averages out to just over six dollars per beer, which is higher than many other options.
While the cost per beer price of the “Give Them Beer” Advent calendars may seem a bit high at first glance, it is important to consider that they feature some of the most popular and highly rated craft beers produced in the United States.
It is also not usually possible to purchase only one can of the craft beers that are included, which is why some of the value of these hand-picked craft beer Advent calendars is in their novelty and “gift-worthiness.”
It will come as no surprise to those familiar with the Costco brand that the Kalea Brewer’s Advent Calendar offered at the large department store brings some of the best value of any option on the market.
The Costco offering comes with 24 beers and costs just under $100 for a bottle cost of just over four dollars. This is one of the best values on the market, especially considering that it includes craft beers that are imported from Europe.
For those looking for the best possible value when it comes to beer-themed Advent calendars, the Aldi selection is the best option on the market. It offers a full case of 24 beers for only $49.99 and includes a number of different interesting craft beers.
Brewvana offers a guided and interactive experience that comes with a number of thoughtful extras but is not one of the best options on the market when it comes to price and value. It is priced at $95 and only included 12 beers for an average individual beer cost of nearly eight dollars each.
Style of Included Beer
It is also important to take a look at the style and selection of beer that is included in any given beer Advent calendar before purchase, as they vary greatly in terms of selection and not all options are suitable for all palates.
Each beer-themed Advent calendar contains slightly different styles of beer, and people with different palates will enjoy different options. Those who enjoy more aggressive beers with bitter hops will enjoy the IPA Advent calendar by Give Them Beer.
Those who enjoy international selections like beers from Germany and Austria should stick with the Kalea Brewer’s Advent Calendar which is full of different interesting European beer selections. The majority of beer styles are light and hazy with few instances of aggressive hops.
There are also beer Advent calendars that offer a good mix of different beers, letting customers enjoy a wide variety of styles while expanding their palates with new beers. These include the Adli selection, as well as the Brewvana and Give Them Beer mix options.
Delivery and Availability
When shopping for a beer Advent calendar, it is important to think about whether you prefer to pick up your box or have it delivered to you. While delivery is a convenient option, it requires waiting and there is a chance of being damaged from heat or being mishandled.
Options like those from Aldi and Costco are available for pickup in person, but both have become very popular over the past few years and sell out fairly quickly. The Costco option also requires the possession of a membership card, which comes at a cost.
The majority of other options on the market when it comes to beer-themed Advent calendars are offered by online-based companies that use the delivery model. Be sure to check the delivery window that each offer and whether weather options like expedited shipping are available.
Over the past several years, there are a number of different beer and wine Advent calendars that have become very popular and are shared regularly across different social media platforms. These recognizable options make for great gifts as they come with brand recognition.
Selections from both Costco and Aldi have become extremely popular, and it is not uncommon for both beer Advent calendar options to sell out within the first week of release. Both of these are great options for casual beer enthusiasts who will recognize them immediately.
It is also important to stick with a brand that has a good reputation for delivering high-quality year over year. There are many new upstart companies getting into the beer delivery and packaging business, making trusted companies the safest options when shopping.
Decorations and Extras
Each beer-themed Advent calendar is themed a bit differently, and it is important to choose one that you and your family find aesthetically pleasing. While the beer that is contained inside the box is important to think about, the outside of the box is very important as well.
With a typical case of beer, the contents are usually removed and loaded into a refrigerator or cooler and the box is quickly discarded. This is not true of beer Advent calendars, as you and your family will have to look at the box for 24 straight days during the holiday season.
It is also important to determine whether included extra features and small gifts are important to you, as only a few companies offer boxes with these small touches. The Brewvana calendar is full of different extras, including chocolates and access to an online guided tasting series.
Top 5 Beer Advent Calendars
While beer-themed Advent calendars used to be fairly niche items that were tough to find, they are increasing in popularity leading to a huge boom in new companies producing them. We have highlighted five of the best options on the market for your needs this holiday season.
1. Costco Kalea Brewer’s Advent Calendar
- Unique option featuring a variety of small European producers
- Has been in production since the year 2014
- Very popular item that goes viral online most years
- Features unique beers from Germany and Austria
- One of the best mixes of beer in terms of variety
- Beautiful box with a convenient carrying handle
- Requires a Costco membership for purchase
- Not all people enjoy some of the adventurous beer selections
- Can sell out quite quickly as this is a very popular item every year
2. Aldi Beer Advent Calendar
- Does not require membership for purchase
- Good selection of value-driven beers
- One of the most popular options on the market
- Aldi helped popularize alcohol-based Advent calendars with their wine version
- Well-designed box with “pop top” perforated cardboard
- Beautifully decorated box for the holiday season
- This beer Advent calendar sells out very quickly every year
- Not everyone enjoys the value-driven selections that are included
- Aldi does not specify which wines will be included before release
3. “Give Them Beer” Advent Calendar
- Wide variety of different beer styles from all over the United States
- Includes a number of different recognizable craft brews
- Reasonable price considering high-end beer selections
- Featured highly rated beers from some of the most respected breweries in the country
- Cool box design with a picture of Santa Claus holding a beer
- One of the best gift ideas on the market for craft beer enthusiasts
- Some heavy craft beers are not for everyone
- Only includes 12 beer selections while others include 24
- $15 shipping charge adds to the overall cost significantly
4. Brewvana “12 Beers of Christmas”
- Features craft beers from small independent breweries
- Comes with access to nightly virtual tastings
- Includes a helpful tasting guide to follow along with
- Many included extras including chocolate, accessories, and a beanie
- A variety of other small extras are included in the box as well
- Great for beer enthusiasts who would like to broaden their palates
- None of the beers are recognizable or familiar
- Fairly high price considering only 12 beers are included
- Not all customers choose to take advantage of the nightly virtual tastings
5. “Give Them Beer” IPA Advent Calendar
- Includes 12 of the top-rated IPAs from around the United States
- One of the best options for serious craft beer enthusiasts
- Each included selection is highly rated and respected in the industry
- Highest-rated beers of any Advent calendar on the market
- Simple and minimalistic box design looks like a gift
- Most IPAs are too strong for the majority of palates
- Only includes 12 selections of beer
- $15 flat rate shipping cost is higher than other options
While there are a number of different beer Advent calendars on the market today that offer good value and a great selection of different interesting beers, there is no better option than the one provided by the international grocery store chain Aldi.
The Aldi beer Advent calendar is the best option on the market because it provides incredible value at a low price while including a good mix of high-quality and interesting craft beers.