Napa Valley in California is one of the most famous and prestigious wine regions in the United States, and it has established itself as the top producer of both American Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.
There are a number of different wine clubs that allow members to feel like they are right in the heart of Napa Valley no matter where they are located.
We have assembled a short list of the best Napa wine clubs on the market today and highlighted the most important features of each.
Choosing the Right Napa Wine Club
Napa Valley is one of the most highly respected wine regions in the United States, and the best Napa wine clubs come with a number of different benefits. There are five important factors that should be analyzed when shopping for Napa Valley wine clubs.
Monthly Cost and Club Value
The price of wine varies greatly in Napa, and the same principle is true when it comes to wine clubs. There are options that are better for casual wine enthusiasts on a budget, and other options that are catered toward serious wine collectors with big budgets.
The first thing that many customers look at when it comes to shopping for a new wine club is the overall monthly cost of the subscription. Certain Napa-based wine clubs include free shipping, and it is important to factor in the shipping cost when comparing options.
While the overall cost is the first factor that many prospective customers pay attention to, it is also important to take a look at how many bottles are included in each shipment, as well as how often each new shipment is delivered.
There are certain options that only come with one or two bottles per shipment, and others that include full 12-bottle cases of wine. Some companies send out new shipments each month, while others deliver on a bi-monthly or quarterly basis.
When choosing the right Napa wine club, it is important to gauge how much wine your household goes through on average, and shop accordingly. It is also a good idea to take a look around your home and determine how much storage space you have for wine.
Choosing a wine club that features monthly deliveries of six to 12 bottles is a great way to quickly fill up an empty wine cooler or cellar for some, but others may find these high-volume options to include too much wine and many casual wine enthusiasts end up canceling.
Another major factor that helps determine whether any given Napa-based wine club is of good value or not is the types and quality of wine that are included. Some Napa producers feature very high price tags, while others work to produce solid value-driven selections.
Style and Quality of Wine
There are certain producers in Napa Valley that are very well known for producing high-end bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay, some of which have developed extremely loyal followings over the past several decades.
These high-end wineries have become world famous, and many wine experts and industry professionals refer to some of these as “Cult California Cabernets,” due to their extremely loyal following and brand recognition.
Due to the popularity and high demand for these trendy and sought-after wines, what are usually considered to be the “best” wines that Napa has to offer often carry very high price tags that are not realistic for many wine enthusiasts.
While the most famous and recognizable producers from Napa Valley charge higher and higher prices each year, there are other producers who take a different approach when it comes to winemaking. There are many value-driven selections across Napa that are well-known for being of good quality.
It is also important to think about which styles of wine are most often enjoyed in your household, as different Napa wine club options will feature very different selections. Certain producers only focus on sparkling wines, while others specialize in only one grape varietal.
There are certain Napa wine clubs that include thoughtful extras with each wine shipment, which is an added touch that makes a world of difference for some customers. These thoughtful gifts and inclusions help develop a sense of brand loyalty for many people.
There are certain wine clubs that are well known for including branded gifts like corkscrews, blankets, branded charcuterie boards, and more. These items often include the winery’s logo, and some of them are of very high quality.
There are also wine clubs that send out a winery update via a letter to members that are included with each shipment. These letters can include everything from updates on the growing season to profiles on staff and upcoming bottle releases.
Tasting notes are also sometimes included, which are great for newer wine enthusiasts who are working to develop their palates. Some Napa wine clubs even feature suggested food pairings with each bottle, and many come with recipes for the dishes as well.
For those local to California or enjoy traveling to visit wine country in Napa, wine club members often enjoy discounts and significant perks when visiting wineries and tasting rooms in person. These include everything from discounts to free tastings and can lead to huge savings.
Delivery Cost and Options
When it comes to wine delivery subscription services, one of the most important factors that need to be considered is the delivery of the wine itself. Certain companies offer free shipping, while others charge either a flat rate or a different price depending on location.
It is always important to check the delivery price of each shipment with remote-based wine clubs, and free shipping can sometimes make all the difference in terms of overall price between two similar options.
Different companies also use different carriers to fulfill their wine shipments, and certain customers prefer to use specific companies. For example, some people live in buildings where UPS has better access and history of delivery success, while others prefer to use FedEx.
The best Napa wine clubs on the market allow customers to choose from a number of different options when it comes to fulfilling shipments, allowing them to decide for themselves the appropriate balance between shipping speed, cost, and preferred delivery carrier.
Napa Valley is home to some of the most famous and well-known wine producers in all of the United States, and certain labels have reached international levels of fame and respect. Some people only drink wine from these recognizable producers, while others prefer to explore more reasonably priced selections.
There are some producers like Stags’ Leap that pride themselves on offering a highly prized and recognizable bottle of wine without breaking the bank compared to other high-end neighboring producers in the area.
There are also producers in Napa Valley like Cakebread Cellars who have achieved fame and recognition, as well as a loyal following for producing quality wine that is very reasonably priced considering the location and quality of wine grapes used for production.
While the name brand recognition of a given producer is an important factor for some wine enthusiasts, there are others who couldn’t care less and even prefer to stay away from larger brand names in order to find new and interesting selections.
Top 6 Napa Wine Clubs
There are dozens of different wineries in California’s Napa Valley that offer remote-based wine clubs, and there are many new options coming to market every year.
We have highlighted five of the best selections currently available and highlighted the most important features of each one.
The Gold Medal Wine Club makes its quality known right off the bat with its title. These wines are award-winning and boutique offerings tailored to your specifications.
For example, if you’re a fan of still reds, you can sign up for the Diamond Club. This membership will send two or more bottles of high-rated, small-production red wines you won’t easily find anywhere else. If you want to experience wine from around the world, the International Club will have you covered.
One way or another, you’ll experience a new side to wine in the most convenient way possible.
- A wide selection of tailored clubs for different wine or origin preferences
- High-quality control – only award-winning wines, or wines that receive 90+ points, are offered
- Impressive selection of supplementary items like wine gift boxes and corporate gifts
- Customizable delivery options (monthly, every other month, or quarterly)
- Flexible pricing ranging from $47.90 to $219.90 per shipment
- Low alcohol options for those cutting back
- Referral program that sends you and a friend one free bottle for each referral
- More expensive than other wine subscriptions
- Low alcohol selection is still much smaller than their standard selections
Stag’s Leap is a prestigious winery established back in 1970, standing out as a ‘first growth’ estate. This label is only bestowed to wineries that excel in high-quality, estate-grown wines.
Dedicated drinkers of aged red wines such as cabernet sauvignon or petit verdot will be right at home here.
Their wine club is split into the Luxe Collection and Current Releases. Their Luxe Collection offers members access to specialty limited-production offerings, while Current Releases contains their broader portfolio.
- One of the top wineries in Napa Valley with well-respected wines
- Flexible delivery dates four times per year
- Options to customize the wines included in each shipment
- Four in-person estate tours and wine tastings each year for members
- Flat rate shipping of $15 regardless of location within the United States
- Members receive early access to new wine offerings each season
- All three membership options are on the higher end of the price scale
- Not the best option for those unable to visit the winery
- Suited toward serious wine enthusiasts and not approachable for some
Cakebread Cellars is a family-owned winery that first laid roots in Napa Valley in 1973 and later expanded to Washington.
They pride themselves on sustainable harvesting practices by avoiding synthetic fertilizers, reducing stream run-off, and reducing herbicide usage.
Their portfolio includes a hearty balance of red and white staples as well as holiday gift baskets. If you’re considering joining their wine club, expect to enjoy complimentary tastings, access to their wine lounge, and 15% discounts on all current-release wines.
We also highly recommend checking out their ongoing cooking courses and members’ only dinners.
- Very recognizable winery that many enjoy all over the world
- Members are the first to receive newly released bottles each season
- 15 percent discount on bottles of wine as well as merchandise
- VIP access to members-only wine lounge at the winery
- Members enjoy complimentary tastings and can bring three guests
- Many perks like online meetups and cooking classes for members
- Not the best option for those unable to physically visit the winery
- Not everyone enjoys the Cakebread style of wine production
- There are more affordable options on the market for those on a budget
The scenic James Cole Estate is run by a small family in Napa Valley, harvesting grapes from multiple areas to bring you one of the best portfolios in the state.
Their current releases rotate between well-structured red blends, whites, and rosés, with a special page for their featured products. Consider brushing up on their delicious original recipes to pair with your next bottle.
Their wine club offers fresh benefits with each new season. Many classic wine membership staples are here, such as event tickets and wine discounts.
If you’re a more easygoing drinker, they allow members to skip up to two releases without being removed from the club.
- Five different wine releases each year for members
- Four complimentary tastings per year for members
- Three different membership options to suit different needs
- Membership can easily be frozen or paused at any time
- Wine releases can either be picked up in person or shipped
- One of the top Napa producers in the eyes of many industry professionals
- Some customers prefer a producer with more label recognition
- Membership can only be maximized by visiting the winery four times per year
- Customers receive new releases with little flexibility as far as wine style
Mumm Napa is a winery steeped in prestige. Not only do the current winemakers continue the proud traditions of Napa Valley, the winery first got its start in the Old World – France.
More specifically, Mumm Napa first sharpened its craft making traditional French sparkling wines. These methods have been carried over to give wine drinkers some of the most exemplary brut rosés, champagnes, and sparkling reds in the industry.
That said, fans of still wines will be able to enjoy their chardonnay and pinot noir offerings.
This is one of the Napa wine clubs with one of the most impressive discounts, offering a solid 20% off all wine, gift shop, and merchandise orders. You’ll also receive a 30% discount on club selection re-orders and wine cases of three or more.
- One of the top producers of California sparkling wine
- Three different membership tiers for all types of customer
- Option to receive quarterly shipments or pick up wine in person
- Some of the most generous member discounts on both wine and merchandise
- Exclusive access to member events both virtually and at the winery
- One of the best member newsletters that included tasting notes
- Only sparkling wine selections are available
- Not one of the more well-known producers in the Napa Valley
- Selections can be fairly predictable with few new releases
Nestled in a Tuscan-style castle, Castello di Amorosa makes it clear how much they love their winemaking roots. Complete with a fully furbished courtyard and brick tower, this winery is just as much of an experience as it is a destination.
Castello di Amorosa’s portfolio is as expansive as its courtyards, offering up a medley of red, white, blushing, sweet, and sparkling vintages. You can also choose from a selection of high-quality olive oils and chocolates to pair with your purchase.
Their wine club provides a well-rounded package of discounted tours, exclusive events, and access to tasting rooms. When you sign up, you’ll also enjoy 20% off specialty tours and wine re-orders. You can also bring a guest to their guided tours and tastings.
- One of the top Napa Valley wine club producers with many different options
- Eight different “shipping club options with recurring wine shipments
- Four different “purchase club” offers to choose from for one-time purchases
- One of the best value-driven Napa producers with a beautiful winery in a castle location
- Many different wine club options to choose from including “Sweet Wines”
- Complimentary wine tastings for members and big discounts on premium experiences
- Not one of the most affordable options on the market
- The “purchase club” options are more of a bulk purchase than a “wine club”
- Members still have to pay for premium tastings, though there is a 50% discount
Best Napa Wine Clubs – Final Thoughts
While there are many different options on the market today when it comes to wine clubs located in California’s beautiful Napa Valley, the best Napa wine club for the majority of customers is the Stags’ Leap wine club.
Stags’ Leap is one of the top producers in Napa Valley, and it has won many awards for producing high-quality bottles of California Cabernet Sauvignon.
Their wine club is one of the most established and smoothly operated in the entire industry, and the producer continues to deliver members high-quality wines that are highly regarded year after year. Click here to take a look at the Stags’ Leap wine club, and see if it is a good fit for your personal needs!
- The Best Wine Clubs
- The Best Winery Hotels in Napa Valley