What’s The Deal With Voli 305 Vodka?
The website is permanently offline so it’s virtually impossible to get good, current, first-hand information about this brand.
Voli 305 Vodka gets its name from the 305 area code, which is for Miami, Florida. 305’s slogan is ‘the gentleman’s vodka’.
A Brief History of 305 Vodka
Founded in 2008, in the beginning, Voli 305 Vodka was made in France from wheat. Originally it came plain and in a variety of flavors.
When Pitbull (aka Armando Christian Perez) bought the brand in 2016, he renamed it, dropped the flavored varieties, and moved production to his hometown of Miami. It’s now made from Florida sweet corn.
How Voli 305 Vodka Is Made
What makes vodka unique is its neutrality, meaning it’s not supposed to taste or smell of anything. While lending its body and mouthfeel to the experience, vodka is meant to serve as a vehicle that transmits the flavor, aroma, and color imparted to it by the mixer.
The process of making Voli 305 from sweet corn breaks down as follows:
- The sweet corn is ground to a powder.
- The corn powder is added to water heated to around 167 degrees Fahrenheit to make corn mash. This breaks down the starch into simple sugars.
- The alpha-amylase enzyme is added to the corn mash. It converts the simple sugars into an alcoholic brew that has more in common with beer than it does hard liquor.
- The brew is distilled repeatedly to increase its alcohol content. In the case of Voli 305, this is done 17 times.
- The liquor is then filtered, first by freezing, then by passing it through activated charcoal to remove fatty acids, then by passing it through coconut husks.
- This triple filtration process is repeated 7 times before bottling.
Voli 305 Vodka Attributes
|Taste||Aroma||Body & color||Finish||Distinguishing Feature||ABV(%)||Price|
|Neutral||Minimal||Full-bodied, silvery white||Extra smooth||81 calories per 1.5 ounces||40||$14-$50 for 750ml depending on the distributor|
Alternatives to Voli 305 Vodka
Time for a celebrity vodka face-off/showdown where you decide the winner:
- With Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs as its brand ambassador, sales soared from 40 000 cases in its first couple of years to 2 million cases a year, prompting Diddy to style himself ‘Cîroc Obama’.
- Made with grapes that were frozen when picked to ensure an optimal level of flavor and sweetness.
- Distilled four times in column stills and a fifth time in a copper pot still.
- Taste: lemon zest with a hint of honey and cracked black pepper.
- While plain vodka has an ABV of 40%, the flavored varieties have an ABV of 35%.
- While Cîroc’s profile is floral, aromatic, and a bit fruity, its finish is smooth and creamy.
- Average price: $28 for 750ml.
Crystal Head Vodka
- The brain-child of actor Dan Aykroyd and artist John Alexander.
- Crystal Head comes in 3 varieties: the original formulation (made from Canadian sweet corn), Aurora (made from English wheat), and Onyx (made with blue agave).
- Four times distilled, then reduced with Newfoundland water.
- Filtered seven times, with the last three filtrations passing through a kind of double-terminated quartz called Herkimer diamond crystal.
- No additives of any kind are used in the production process.
- An aroma of spice and vanilla. Peppery sweetness with a warming finish.
- An ABV of 40%.
- $50-$60 for 750ml.
- ‘All You Need is Slove’ is the slogan of Bill Murray & Mikhail Baryshnikov’s award-winning vodka.
- Made from winter wheat, a bit of buckwheat, and mountain water from the foot of the Julian Alps.
- A viscose palate and a lively finish that smacks of black pepper. Its aroma has been described as mineral.
- An ABV of 40%.
- $32 for 750ml.
Vera Wang X Chopin Vodka
- A collaboration between fashion designer Vera Wang and the Dorda family’s Chopin distillery in Krzesk, Poland.
- Made from a specially-selected variety of never-before-used potatoes.
- Without question, the best bottle design ever! Simplicity, style, elegance: seven shades of beautifully rolled into one!
- Flavor notes of pepper and green apple with a warm, nutty palate.
- An ABV of 40%.
- $80 for 750ml.
VDKA 6100 Vodka
- Actor Robert De Niro and casino mogul James Packer brought this one to market.
- Made in New Zealand, from whey, the fluid that’s left over when milk has been curdled and strained. (Blessed are the cheese-makers!)
- Peppercorn, lemon, and mushroom with a slightly citrus aroma.
- An ABV of 40%.
- $29 for 750ml.
Born and Bred American Craft Vodka
- Actor Channing Tatum and Jack Maloney’s bespoke vodka.
- Made in Driggs, Idaho – from potatoes – and glacier water from the Grand Teton Mountains.
- 20x distilled.
- B&B’s slogan is ‘Cross my heart and hope for mischief.
- A vanilla and banana flavor and aroma with a peppery sting in its tail. Semi-dry with a caramel aftertaste.
- An ABV of 40%.
- $22 for 750ml.
How To Drink Voli 305 Vodka
Premium-grade vodkas were meant to be drunk neat and ice-cold.
If you have to adulterate them, the least you can do is buy genuine, unsweetened fruit juices and a couple of bottles of quality soda water.
Here are some of the more traditional ways of enjoying the experience:
- There are two types: wet and dry. A wet vodka martini is three parts vodka, and one part vermouth. The less vermouth, the drier the martini.
- Get hold of a cocktail shaker or suitable substitute. Fill it with ice. Pour the vodka and vermouth over the top of the ice. Shake or stir for at least a minute or two, then pour.
- Pro tip: Refrigerate the ingredients ahead of time.
- Fill a glass with ice, add vodka, a squirt or two of lime juice, and some ginger beer. It doesn’t get easier than that.
- Add two parts vodka to one part coffee liqueur and top it all off with some heavy cream, then stir.
Does vodka have health benefits?
One (if you’re female) or two (if you’re male) drinks a day can reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. However, the benefits can be easily outweighed by the various issues that arise from constant alcohol consumption.
Who invented vodka?
The Poles claim to have invented it and, for all we know they might be right, although it’s extremely unlikely. One way or other people have been distilling alcohol for thousands of years: the chances of any one group being entirely responsible are remote.
Is there anything you can’t make vodka out of?
As long as it contains sugar or starch, you can make vodka out of it. Fruit, vegetables, it’s all good.
Kudos and Plaudits
Pitbull has been lauded for helping launch SLAM!, the Sports Leadership and Management Charter School, in 2013. SLAM! has since spread from Miami’s Little Havana, where he grew up, to Las Vegas and Atlanta. The schools have a graduation rate of 96%.
In 2017, after Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico, Pitbull used his plane to ferry cancer patients to the USA for chemo.