Pour over coffee makers have seen a major resurgence in terms of popularity over the past decade, as many young coffee enthusiasts are becoming interested in more traditional and artisanal coffee-making methods.
There are plenty of different options on the market today in terms of different pour over designs, and choosing the best option for your needs can seem a bit daunting at first for some.
In this article, we will take a deeper dive into the world of pour over coffee makers, and help simplify the shopping process, ensuring that you end up with a suitable model for your household.
at a glance: Best Pour Over Coffee Maker
Choosing the Right Pour Over Coffee Maker
Many people enjoy the fact that pour over coffee makers are very easy to use. While perfecting the best coffee-making technique with your new pour over coffee maker can take some time, they are fairly intuitive to use and most people enjoy them straight away.
Taste and Coffee Quality
The best pour over coffee makers on the market make very high-quality cups of coffee that are on par with drinks on the menus of popular cafes and coffee shops. Using high-quality coffee beans with a good pour over model is one of the best ways to achieve top-tier coffee at home without breaking the bank.
A good pour over coffee maker will literally impart zero taste into the finished cup of coffee, and the top options on the market are made of high-quality materials like porcelain and glass.
These materials are also easy to keep completely clean, which is another important factor when it comes to coffee quality.
Price and Value
Another great thing about choosing a pour over coffee maker as your means of making morning coffee is the low price tag that is generally associated with pour over models. Even the most expensive models on the market today cost less than a high-end electric espresso maker, meaning that budget is less of an issue when choosing between different models.
The majority of the most popular options on the market today feature simple designs and are generally priced in the $30 and under range. Since the designs of these models are fairly simple, high-quality materials can be used without driving up production prices significantly.
While there are pour over coffee makers out there that cost well over $100, there is little reason besides aesthetics to select such a highly-priced option. Top-tier coffee is made every morning by thousands of people using inexpensive pour over models every single morning.
Durability and Maintenance
One of the most important factors when it comes to choosing between different models of pour over coffee makers is how durable each option is. The best options on the market today are made from durable materials, even though glass and porcelain options may not seem very durable on the surface.
Another important design element with pour over coffee makers is how easy they are to maintain and keep clean. Some designs make it tougher to access the bottom part of the reservoir compared to others, and being able to thoroughly clean out a pour over maker is essential between uses.
Style of Coffee Filter
Pour over coffee makers come in many different shapes and sizes, meaning there is no universal coffee filter that fits all options. Some pour over models use permanent metallic coffee filters that are rinsed between uses, while others use traditional paper filters.
Certain styles of pour over coffee makers require their own specialized paper coffee filters, like the Kalita Wave which uses a carefully designed filter to eliminate contact between the filter and the coffee maker.
Brand Recognition and Reputation
When it comes to brand reputation, there are a handful of popular companies that have developed a very strong reputation for making high-quality pour over devices. Chemex and Bodum are two of the top producers of kitchen glassware in the world, and each of them makes their own popular model of pour over device.
With so many high-quality pour over coffee makers on the market today that is priced under $30, there is little reason to stray from the most trusted brands in the coffee industry. This is a great way to ensure that you receive a high-quality product that is backed by a proven history of customer service.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Best Pour Over Coffee Maker
|OXO Brew Single Serve Pour-Over||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Bodum Pour Over||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Chemex Pour-Over||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper Pour Over||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Coffee Gator Pour Over||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
Top 5 Pour Over Coffee Makers on the Market
There are literally hundreds of different options to choose from when it comes to pour over coffee devices these days, and a simple internet search will yield dozens of different results.
We have hand-selected five of the most popular and high-quality pour over devices on the market today to help you navigate through the noise and select the perfect option for your home.
1. OXO Brew Single Serve Pour-Over Coffee Maker
At first glance, the OXO Brew Single Serve Pour-Over Coffee Maker immediately sticks out from the crowd in terms of look and design. It has a beautiful off-white color scheme that blends in well with a variety of different kitchen design styles.
This aesthetically pleasing pour over coffee maker also operates a bit differently compared to the majority of other design styles. With a traditional pour over, the hot water needs to be poured very slowly over the coffee grounds while constantly moving the spout.
With the OXO Brew Single Serve Pour-Over Coffee Maker, all of the hot water is added to the device at once, and the design of the coffee maker ensures that water drips through the grounds at the proper speed.
Another reason that this simple pour over device has become extremely popular is the fact that it is both affordable and small. This device is compact and lightweight enough to be taken everywhere from road trips to camping vacations, making it a favorite among many travelers.
- Unique design allows all hot water to be added to the device at once
- Imparts no flavor on the finished product for a high-quality cup of coffee
- Measurement markings make it easy to keep an eye on fill levels
- Device is placed directly over your coffee cup which saves on dishes
- One of the smallest and most lightweight options on the market
- Off white color scheme blends in well with many different design styles
- Some people do not enjoy the fact that this design does not feature a bottom reservoir
- Not all coffee enthusiasts prefer the unique look and style
- Requires the use of #2 cone coffee filters, an expense that adds up over time
2. Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker
The Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker is one of the most popular pour-over devices in the entire world, and it uses a combination of simple design elements and high-quality materials for a well-rounded device that is as functional as it is aesthetically pleasing.
Bodum is a well-known producer of high-quality glassware, so it comes as no surprise that their glass pour over maker is one of the industry leaders. This design also showcases a cork handle with a leather strap, which gives users an area to hold the otherwise piping-hot glass device.
One feature that many coffee enthusiasts seem to appreciate about this particular style of coffee maker is the included metallic mesh filter. This reusable filter is easy to clean and eliminates the need to purchase coffee filters on a regular basis with continuous use.
The Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker is also available with a heat-resistant silicone band for those who do not enjoy the more popular cork option. There are also three sizes to choose from, though the majority of sales come from the 17 and 34-ounce options.
- One of the most recognizable and top-selling pour over devices in the world
- Made of high-quality and durable glass that is designed to last
- Can choose between silicone and cork heat-resistant handle areas
- Glass design allows for optimal flavor and coffee quality
- Dishwasher safe design is very easy to keep clean
- Comes from one of the top producers of high-quality glassware on earth
- Fairly bulky and heavy design compared to the OXO version
- Although it is made of high-quality glass, this device can crack or chip if dropped
- Some people do not enjoy cleaning the reusable filter after each use
3. Chemex Classic Pour Over Coffee Maker
Like Bodum, Chemex is a highly regarded producer of high-quality and durable glassware that makes an extremely popular model of pour over coffee device. The Chemex Classic Pour Over Coffee Maker is considered by many to be the industry standard, and it is the brand prominently featured at cafes and coffee shops.
Chemex is the first brand that comes to mind for many coffee enthusiasts and baristas when talking about pour over coffee makers, and they engineered the timeless design that the Bodum company clearly took inspiration from when making the Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker.
The one major complaint from coffee enthusiasts when it comes to the Chemex Classic Pour Over Coffee Maker is its price. Many owners argue that it is worth every penny, as this durable option is likely the last pour over that you will ever have to purchase.
Another unique aspect of this high-end glass coffee maker is the fact that it showcases a wooden “collar” or handle area. This is a classy touch that works as an area to grab the device while adding a touch of class and style to the device.
- One of the most popular and respected models on the market
- Many people consider this design to be the industry standard
- Uses borosilicate glass which guarantees the best possible taste
- The design has remained largely unchanged since the year 1941
- Pour spout is thoughtfully designed for easy use each morning
- Beautiful pour over coffee maker that many people choose to leave out for display
- Fairly expensive compared to the majority of other pour over coffee makers
- Requires the purchase of specialty Chemex filters which is a recurring expense
- Some people prefer the feel of a cork collar to the traditional wooden style
4. Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper
The Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper has gained a massive amount of attention and popularity over the past decade, and it is the pour over that many cafes have embraced and packaged for sale on their own shelves.
There are two different color options to choose from with this popular Japanese design, and many coffee enthusiasts find this to be one of the most elegant options on the market today. This coffee maker blends in well with many kitchens and cupboards, as it is designed to look similar to a small coffee cup.
Like the OXO Brew Single Serve Pour-Over Coffee Maker, the Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper is placed directly on top of your favorite coffee mug, brewing and dispensing coffee directly into the mug which saves on clutter, hassle, and dishes.
While this may look like a fairly simple design on the surface, what makes this one of the most unique and interesting pour over devices on the market is the fact that it uses a specially designed filter.
This filter is specifically designed to not contact the body of the device, allowing for optimal taste and quality.
- Small and lightweight option that is easy to take on the go
- Available in both red and white finishes to fit in with any kitchen style
- Has become extremely popular since its release in the year 2005
- Very stylish machine that many people find to be elegant
- Has a great reputation for making very high-quality drip coffee
- Requires the purchase of special filters that are more expensive than universal options
- Some people do not like the unique design that is placed directly on coffee mugs
- Can be cracked or chipped if dropped from a counter height on a hard floor
5. Coffee Gator Pour Over Coffee Maker
Coffee Gator is by far the smallest and least well-known company featured on this list, but their Coffee Gator Pour Over Coffee Maker has become so beloved among its customers over a short period of time that it has earned its place as one of the best options on the market.
The Coffee Gator company has rolled out a very unique design with this compact and lightweight pour over coffee device, and many people are loving the results. One of the best features of this coffee maker is the fact that it uses a laser-cut mesh filter that is easy to rinse out and eliminates the need for paper filters.
It also showcases a “cool touch” handle that protrudes from the body of the device similar to the handle of many teapots. Many people find this design to be more ergonomic to use compared to other glass options like the Chemex or Bodum models.
- Made of heat-resistant glass and guaranteed to be 100 percent BPA free
- Can often be found on sale for major savings through retailers like Amazon
- Uses a mesh filter that helps save time and money associated with buying paper filters
- Ergonomic handle makes this device easier to use than others on the market
- Very easy to use and keep clean after use each morning
- The Coffee Gator brand is relatively new and untested compared to larger companies
- Some people do not enjoy the “beaker like” profile of this device
- Less durable than other glass options featured on this list
The Best Pour Over Coffee Maker – Final Thoughts
There is no shortage of durable and affordable options when it comes to pouring over coffee makers that are designed to make high-quality cups of coffee each morning.
While there are dozens of different options to choose from, and many are suitable for making decent coffee, the Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker strikes the best balance of features and value for the majority of customers. It is fairly similar to the more popular Chemex model, and it comes with a reusable filter that helps save cash on paper filters down the line.
Click here to take a closer look at the Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker with cork or silicone handle, and see for yourself why so many people rave about this sleek coffee-making device!