Nespresso has been the industry leader for many years when it comes to single-serve home espresso appliances, and the release of the Vertuo line of pods paved the way for many new possibilities.
Nespresso Vertuo machines allow customers to enjoy either espresso or traditional styles of coffee, and there are many different models of Nespresso Vertuo machines with a wide range of different features and options.
Choosing between the Nespresso Vertuo Next vs Plus comes down to weighing the most important features of each, and deciding which is the best fit for your specific needs and lifestyle.
Choosing the Right Nespresso Machine
Choosing between the Nespresso Vertuo Next and the Nespresso Vertuo Plus comes down to looking at the most important design features of each machine, and deciding which option is the best fit for your lifestyle and individual needs.
Size and Weight
It is important to choose a Nespresso machine that fits well within your kitchen, as even the best machines on the market are rendered either useless or cumbersome in situations where they are too large to fit properly in a well-organized kitchen.
While both the Nespresso Vertuo Next and Nespresso Vertuo Plus are fairly sleek and slim, the Plus is the slightly larger option of the two. It holds two more Vertuo coffee pods compared to the Next, as well as holding three more ounces of water in its reservoir.
The overall footprint of the two machines is very similar, though the Nespresso Vertuo Plus is slightly longer and deeper, along with being .4 inches taller compared to the Nespresso Vertuo Next. The Plus weighs in at 9.7 pounds, while the Next is a bit lighter at 8.8 pounds when empty.
Due to the fact that both of these Nespresso Vertuo machines are fairly similar in size, in most cases, it is best to choose machines based on features. With the exception of tight cupboards and shelves, one of these machines will fit within a kitchen just as well as the other.
Water and Coffee Pod Capacity
Different models of Nespresso machines feature different water capacities in each of their reservoirs, and machines with larger water capacities can brew more coffee pods consecutively without the need to be refilled.
There are also a number of different methods for storing and loading coffee pods into machines, and some models can store multiple pods at once. Both the Nespresso Vertuo Next and the Nespresso Vertuo Plus offer these pod-loading systems, allowing for maximum convenience.
The Nespresso Vertuo Plus holds 10 individual coffee pods within the machine, while the Nespresso Vertuo Next holds 8 pods. This allows for 8 to 10 individual servings to be brewed without the need to reload pods into the machine.
This “pre-loaded” pod storage system is a major advantage compared to the majority of other single-serve coffee systems. More simple options, like Keurig coffee brewing machines, need to be loaded before each use, which adds an extra step to each morning’s coffee-making routine.
While it is true that the Nespresso Vertuo Plus has a slightly larger water reservoir compared to the Nespresso Vertuo Next, the difference between the two is only three ounces and customers are unlikely to notice much of a difference in terms of time between water refills.
Price and Budget
When shopping for any model of Nespresso Vertuo machine, it is important to check around some of the most popular online retailers to see if there are any sales going on. These machines are regularly marked down, especially when newer models are released.
The manufacturer’s suggested retail pricing for the Nespresso Vertuo Plus is $159, while the suggested price for the Nespresso Vertuo Next is $179. At the time of writing this article, the Plus is marked down 26 percent on Amazon, while the Next is marked down 30 percent.
With the prices of these two Nespresso Vertuo models being fairly similar, choosing the best option for you comes down to weighing which of the features and options are most important to you. Each machine has slightly different capabilities and features different technologies.
Features and Technology
While it is true that both the Nespresso Vertuo Plus and Nespresso Vertuo Next are fairly similar in terms of price, size, and capacity, each machine comes equipped with different features and technologies that truly separate them in terms of function and efficiency.
The Nespresso Vertuo Next is by far the more “high tech” option between these two popular Nespresso models, as it features both WiFi and Bluetooth technology that pairs with smartphone apps to offer a variety of features and access to performance data.
This makes the Nespresso Vertuo plus the best option for tech-minded customers, as the ability to control the machine and look at in-depth data makes the Next one of the best high-tech single-serve coffee makers on the entire market.
While all of these high-tech features like Bluetooth technology and smartphone apps are a selling point for some people, others are turned off by these features and find them to be unnecessarily complicated in practice.
For those who prefer a more simple and more straightforward coffee and espresso machine, the Nespresso Vertuo Plus is the best option. It features a simple push-button operation method and can hold three extra ounces of water and two extra Vertuo pods compared to the Next.
Style and Aesthetics
Both the Nespresso Vertuo Next and the Nespresso Vertuo Plus feature sleek and modern designs, though each takes a slightly different approach in terms of design style. The most noticeable difference between the two is the water tank placements, as well as the overall machine shapes.
The Nespresso Vertuo Plus is built in a simple oval shape, with rounded corners and a consistent profile from the bottom to the top of the machine. Its water tank is located slightly to the side of the machine, making it easier to access and refill between uses.
While the “side saddle” location of the water tank on the Nespresso Vertuo Plus makes it easier to access and refill, it may not be the best option for kitchens where counter space is at a premium. The Plus does not fit into some spaces for this reason, making the Next the better option in these instances.
The Nespresso Vertuo Next features a slimmer overall profile compared to the Plus, with the top portion of the machine widening out around the coffee pod loading area. Its water reservoir is located directly behind the rest of the machine, making it the best option for squeezing into tight spaces and kitchens.
Comparing Nespresso Machine Models
1. Nespresso Vertuo Next
- Note: 1)Too coarse a grind, too little coffee, or insufficiently tamping the grounds before brewing can all lead to inadequate pressure for a proper brew. 2)It is important to note that the amount of...
- A RANGE OF OPTIONS: Vertuo Next makes both coffee and espresso in a variety of sizes: 5 8, and 18oz coffees, and single and double espresso. Includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso Vertuo...
- SLEEK SUSTAINABLE: Only 5.5 inches wide and made of partially recycled materials, with energy-saving automatic turn off
- EXPERTLY BREWED EVERY TIME: Revolutionary one-touch brewing system uses barcode-scanning technology to guarantee the perfect brew
- QUALITY ROOTED IN SUSTAINABILITY: Not only does the hermetically sealed aluminum capsule protect the freshness of our coffee but its also fully recyclable. Plus, Nespresso's recycling program makes...
Nespresso Vertuo Next Pros
- High-tech coffee machine with Bluetooth and Wifi capabilities
- Features a semi-automatic lid mechanism for easy use
- One of the lightest and smallest Vertuo machines on the market
- Water reservoir is located directly behind the rest of the machine
- Fairly large water tank with a 37-ounce capacity
- Conveniently stores eight individual pods within the machine
Nespresso Vertuo Next Cons
- Not all customers are fans of Bluetooth and Wifi technology
- There are simpler and more straightforward machines on the market
- The rear placement of the water tank can be slightly difficult to access
2. Nespresso Vertuo Plus
- VERSATILE AUTOMATIC COFFEE MAKER: Brew different single serve coffee cup sizes; espresso (1.35 oz), double espresso (2.7 oz), gran lungo (5 oz), coffee (7.7 oz) and alto (14 oz). Pour over ice to...
- CAPSULE SIZES: 3 different capsule sizes available; small (Espresso), medium (Double Espresso and Gran Lungo), and large (Alto and Coffee)
- SMART COFFEE MAKER: Vertuo coffee makers use simple 1-button operation with automatic capsule ejection and fast heat-up time of under a minute
- VERSATILE AND AUTOMATIC: Based on the barcode on the rim of the capsule, the brewing parameters are adjusted by the machine, with no need to change settings
- COMPLIMENTARY GIFT: Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
Nespresso Vertuo Plus Pros
- Features the largest water tank of Vertuo machines at 40 ounces
- Conveniently stores 10 pods within the machine for minimum reloading
- Automatic lid mechanism for maximum convenience when loading
- Water reservoir is located on the side of the machine for simple access
- Largest water tank and pod capacity of Nespresso Vertuo machines
- Sleek rounded design fits well with most interior design and kitchen themes
Nespresso Vertuo Plus Cons
- The side placement of the water tank makes it tough to fit in tight spaces
- There are no high-tech features like WiFi or Bluetooth technology
- One of the heavier Nespresso machines on the market at just under 10 pounds
Nespresso Evoluo Pros
- The original Nespresso machine used the revolutionary Vertuo pods
- Available in five different finish colors
- A long-time favorite of many Nespresso coffee enthusiasts
- So beloved that it still sells well after being discontinued
- Offers a bold aesthetic not available with sleeker machines
Nespresso Evoluo Cons:
- Much larger compared to newer Nespresso Vertuo models
- No high-tech features like Bluetooth or Wifi
- Newer and sleeker models can be found at a lower price point
Nespresso Vertuo Titan Pros
- One of the most popular machines that revolutionized the Nespresso lineup
- A classic machine that many enthusiasts will never upgrade from
- Very fast heat-up speed that can come in at under 15 seconds
- Available in five different color finish options
- Considered by many to be the perfect Nespresso machine
Nespresso Vertuo Titan Cons:
- Outdated model with slightly limited features
- Has a slightly larger footprint compared to newer versions
Nespresso Vertuo Next Vs Plus – Conclusion
While the Nespresso Vertuo Next and the Nespresso Vertuo Plus are both high-quality machines that have earned good reputations for reliability and coffee and espresso quality, the Nespresso Vertuo Plus is the best option for the largest audience of coffee enthusiasts.
While the Next showcases high-end tech-driven features, the Plus is more simple to use and holds two more pods as well as three extra ounces of water. The fact that the Nespresso Vertuo Plus is often priced around $20 lower compared to the Nespresso Vertuo Next makes the Plus the best option on the market for most customers.
While some people prefer to use the high-end features like Bluetooth technology and smartphone apps available with the Next, the Plus is more simple to operate, as it does not require tinkering with any technology before drinking a morning cup of coffee!
Feel free to leave a comment below if you are familiar with either of these popular Nespresso machines and be sure to let other coffee and espresso enthusiasts know your thoughts!