When it comes to shopping for a home espresso machine, a budget of up to $1000 allows for full flexibility and keeps nearly every home espresso-making appliance on the table.
The most high-end home espresso machines can rival commercial machines both in quality and durability, allowing you to bring the full coffee shop experience to the comfort of your own home.
Choosing the best espresso machine under $1000 comes down to weighing the most important factors of each machine, and deciding which option is the best fit for your particular needs and lifestyle.
We have selected five of the best premium home espresso machines on the market today and highlighted the most important features of each to simplify the shopping process.
Choosing the Right Espresso Machine Under $1000
With a budget of up to $1000, it is truly possible to build a professional-level espresso bar in your home. Choosing the best espresso machine for your home comes down to weighing some of the most critical factors, including price, features, quality, and size.
Price and Budget
When it comes to high-end home espresso machines, it is important to stick with a tight budget, as there are many other hidden costs that come along with espresso machine ownership. These include the need to purchase a grinder, as well as a steady supply of espresso beans.
With high end machines in the $500 to $1000 range, nearly all options will come equipped with state-of-the-art features and technologies. Each of these machines can produce professional-level espresso that rivals those sold in coffee shops around the world.
Since nearly every machine in this higher price range is capable of producing high-level espresso drinks, choosing the best option for your needs largely comes down to personal preference and style.
There are many different high-end machines priced between $700 and $800 that many coffee and espresso experts believe strike the best balance between quality, functionality, and value. There are also a variety of more simple and elegant machines priced between $500 and $600.
When it comes to home-based espresso machines in the $900 to $1000, top-off-the-line and cutting-edge features like touchscreen controls and preloaded drink-making programming can be expected.
While the espresso will taste similar to a $750 model, the ease of use and “cool factor” is unparalleled with these machines.
Size and Weight
The majority of home espresso machines that fall into this higher price point tend to be fairly large, as the design focus with these options tends to be on quality and durability rather than space-saving.
High-quality and durable parts are generally made from heavy metallic materials, leading to a very heavy overall product. While it is possible to find sleek and compact high-end espresso machines, the majority of smaller options are priced in the $500 and under range.
Choosing the best espresso machine for your home comes down to more than simply selecting the option with the most features or at the highest price point you can afford, as it is very important that the machine fits well within your kitchen and home.
Before shopping for a new espresso machine, it is always a good idea to measure the area where you plan to place the machine with a tape measure. Be sure to measure the length, depth, and height of the intended area, and keep these dimensions on hand when shopping.
While the overall weight of an espresso machine may not be an important consideration to some people, there are others who transport their machines often and require a more lightweight option. Lighter machines also make great options for storing overhead in cupboards and cabinets.
Features and Design
High-end home espresso machines come equipped with a variety of different high-end features that are designed to either simplify or further customize the espresso-making experience. Choosing the right model largely comes down to selecting your most important desired features.
In general, there are two main routes that high-end espresso companies take when designing their machines. The majority of options on the market are either very “old school” with analog controls similar to large commercial machines, or sleek and high-end with more tech-driven designs.
Some people prefer the sleek look and elegance associated with more modern espresso machine designs. These include high-tech models featuring touchscreen controls and tend to blend in well with more modern and minimalist design aesthetics.
These high-tech models often come pre-programmed to make a variety of different coffee drinks with minimal effort from the user. These drink recipes can often be further customized, and having one of these machines in your home can feel like owning your own personal coffee robot.
More traditionally designed models feature timeless looks that are reminiscent of classic espresso machines found across Italy for hundreds of years.
It is thought by many that these designs will never go out of style, which is important considering that they are extremely durable.
When shopping for any high-end luxury item, brand and company reputation become a much more important factor compared to making everyday purchases. Espresso machines are no exception, and the majority of the best options are produced by only a handful of companies.
Top-tier home espresso machines are designed to be very durable and can last for many decades if maintained properly. For this reason, it is important to choose a company with an established reputation of providing quality customer service to help with upkeep and service over the years.
Even the best espresso machines on the market require a bit of upkeep after thousands of uses, and the best companies on the market will be able to provide you with service and parts for your machine at little to no cost to you.
Choosing an espresso machine made by one of the top companies on the market is also a great way to ensure that the resale value of your espresso machine stays high, which is an important factor for those who choose to sell their machines when moving instead of shipping or packing them.
Ease of Use
With the top-tier espresso machines on the market, the presence of many different features and “bells and whistles” can sometimes confuse people at first. Many people prefer to own an espresso machine that is easy to use, as it is simple to explain and use for house guests.
High-tech models of espresso machines featuring touchscreen controls may seem complicated at first, but in reality, they are the easiest to use on a daily basis. Machines that require many steps for operation can be a turn-off for many people, especially first thing in the morning.
While it is important to choose an espresso machine that is simple for you to use on a daily basis, it is also important to consider that the machine will need to be cleaned out and maintained occasionally.
Choosing an espresso machine that is simple to clean and empty is a great way to ensure a sanitary coffee-making environment and a long machine life.
Certain machines are easier to clean than others, and some even feature self-cleaning modes that cycle hot water throughout the machine.
Top 5 Espresso Machines Under $1000
There are dozens of different high-end espresso machines under $1000 on the market today, and choosing the right one can feel overwhelming for many people at first.
We have chosen five of the best options on the market for under $1000 and highlighted the most important features of each to simplify the luxury home espresso machine buying process.
1. De’Longhi La Specialista Espresso Machine
- Striking design is modeled after a traditional Italian espresso machine
- Top loading reservoir is connected to a built-in electric grinder
- Built-in grinder features a sensor to let you know when bean levels are low
- Secondary hot water spout is perfect for Americanos, tea, and cocoa drinks
- Comes equipped with a cleaning brush and descaling solution for proper maintenance
- High quality pressure gauge on the front helps ensure correct operation
- The design is a bit “busy” for some with many parts and a metallic finish
- Takes a bit of learning to properly operate every day
- One of the more complicated machines on the market that can be tough to clean
2. De’Longhi ESAM3300 Magnifica
- One of the sleeker premium designs from the De’Longhi company
- Top loaded bean grinder is integrated into the lid of machine
- Can either be used to fresh grind espresso beans or can use pre-ground powder
- Water reservoir is removable for easy refills and cleaning
- Dual pump spout design can handle two different cups of espresso at once
- One of the sleekest and most simple De’Longhi machines to operate
- Only comes equipped to handle five different traditional drink options
- Does not come with an automatic steam wand, and requires manual milk frothing
- Takes over one minute to heat up on average
3. Breville Barista Express
- Full-service espresso machine capable of turning beans to espresso in under one minute
- Large top-loading coffee grinder can hold roughly one-half bag of espresso beans
- Comes with a built-in tamper to easily press espresso grounds
- Comes equipped with a trusted one-year warranty from Breville
- Programmed to pre-infuse espresso grounds with low pressure for maximum flavor
- Includes cleaning tablets as well as all equipment needed to maintain
- Not one of the more “high-end” names in the espresso industry
- Some customers do not enjoy the simplistic and basic machine design
- The built-in steam pump is fairly basic and requires manual operation
4. De’Longhi Dinamica Automatic Coffee & Espresso Machine
- One of the most versatile coffee and espresso-making machines on the market
- One of the only options on the market that can prepare iced coffee as well as hot drinks
- Three-year total warranty is one of the longest and best in the industry
- High-tech machine that is very simple to operate and clean
- One of the top offerings from the highly trusted De’Longhi company
- Built-in grinder is extremely high in quality and had 13 different modes
- One of the larger and heavier options on the market
- Bright dials and controls do not blend in with all kitchen aesthetics
- Does not include any automatic milk-frothing technology
5. Gaggia Cadorna Super-Automatic Espresso Machine
- Comes pre-programmed to produce ten of the most popular drinks in the world
- Automatic milk frothing and dispensing system
- All pre-programmed drinks can be adjusted and customized
- High spout placement allows customers to use taller coffee mugs
- Four different user profiles can be set up to save everyone’s favorite drinks
- Built in espresso bean grinder is integrated into the top lid of the machine
- One of the largest and bulkiest espresso machines on the market
- Black plastic finish does not fit well into the design aesthetic of some kitchens
- Unique Cappuccinatore milk frother is revolutionary but takes a bit of learning at first
When shopping for a new espresso machine with a budget of up to $1000, nearly all of the top models on the market are up for consideration. There are more traditionally designed models, and futuristic options meant to serve as full-service automatic home coffee and espresso stations.
While there are many great options to choose from for under $1000, the De’Longhi Dinamica Automatic Coffee & Espresso Machine is the best option for the widest variety of coffee and espresso enthusiasts.
It is one of the only options on the market that has the ability to produce fresh iced coffee directly from whole beans, along with making some of the highest quality coffee and espresso drinks on the market.
Click here to take a look at this popular model, and see for yourself if it is the right fit for your particular needs and lifestyle.