Burr grinders are widely regarded as the gold standard in the industry when it comes to different types of coffee grinders, and there are many different high quality options to choose from today. With so many different options to choose from, many people can quickly find themselves overwhelmed during the shopping process.
In this article, we will highlight the features that make for the best burr grinder, as well as showcase five of the top options that are currently on the market to help you confidently make your next coffee grinder purchase.
Choosing the Right Coffee Grinder
While the majority of coffee enthusiasts who grind their beans fresh each morning use basic blade-style coffee grinders, a quick look at slow-motion footage highlights just how inefficient they can be.
Conical burr grinders, on the other hand, work to quickly and efficiently pulverize coffee beans into a precise and consistent texture.
Manual vs Automatic Grinders
While there are many different blade styles and body designs in the world of coffee grinders, every grinder on the market falls into one of two categories. Coffee grinders are either manually operated by hand, or electric using either corded power or a battery for mobile options.
The majority of the top-selling manually operated coffee grinders on the market today are similar to the design of a traditional pepper grinder. They are generally thin in profile and use a rotating handle that is operated by hand by spinning around the top of the machine.
These manual coffee grinders are extremely dependable and have been known to last decades when taken care of properly. They do not require any access to electricity, making them fantastic options for those who travel with a coffee setup or bring their coffee gear camping.
When it comes to convenience and power, the electric coffee grinder is leaps and bounds better than hand-operated manual options. Some electric coffee grinders are simple and straightforward, while others are large, very powerful, and nearly fit for commercial use.
Electric coffee grinders can offer a number of different high-end features, and some designs make it possible to store large amounts of coffee beans within the machine. This allows users to enjoy fresh ground coffee each morning at the push of a button without even scooping out any coffee beans.
Price and Value
There is a fairly wide range in price between the most basic and advanced styles of coffee grinders on the market. The most basic and straightforward grinders can cost well under $50, while high-end versions that are packed with technology cost hundreds.
Some of the top coffee grinders on the market today cost under $200, which means it is possible for just about anyone to find an option suitable to their needs. There is nothing wrong with simple manual coffee grinders, as some of them represent fantastic values due to their consistency and durability.
It is important to understand the difference between price and value when shopping for a new coffee grinder, as many people get the two terms confused in daily conversations.
Price only refers to how much the item costs, while the value of an item is determined by the quality that is received in exchange for the money.
When it comes to just about any kitchen appliance, it is always a good idea to choose a trusted and established brand that has proven itself to provide good customer service over a sample size of many years.
There are many different powerhouse brands that produce their own high-quality burr grinders, and selecting between the top companies comes down to a mixture of personal preference and desired features.
There is little reason to take a risk with a smaller and less established brand when it comes to purchasing a burr grinder, as they do not cost much less than their more trustworthy counterparts.
Spending five to ten extra dollars could be the difference between a broken grinder and one that lasts for thousands of uses.
Size and Capacity
Another important consideration that needs to be made when choosing between different models of coffee grinders is capacity. Smaller and more simple grinders can often hold small amounts of coffee beans at a time, while larger tabletop electric grinders can hold full bags of coffee beans.
For those who are tight on space in their home kitchens, there are sleek and thin grinders that fit well into just about any cabinet. On the other end of the size spectrum, top-of-the-line electric grinders take up more space than some coffee machines.
Style and Aesthetics
Some people are more concerned with the look and aesthetics of their new coffee grinder than others, and there is no shortage of different options to choose from when it comes to style. Some grinders are unassuming and blend into the majority of kitchens, while clothes stick out and are used as showpieces in others.
Another significant factor that affects the overall look of any given machine is how the coffee beans are stored. Some models feature translucent hoppers that show off coffee beans, while others hide beans within the body of the grinder.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Best Burr Grinder
|Breville Smart Grinder Pro||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Baratza Encore Conical Burr||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|OXO Brew Conical Burr||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
Top 5 Burr Grinders on the Market
Many coffee enthusiasts around the internet have been asking for a simple top-five list highlighting the best burr grinders on the market today.
We have hand-picked five of the best options currently being sold and highlighted what makes each of them such a great choice.
1. Breville Smart Grinder Pro
- Stainless steel conical burrs designed to minimize grinding heat and protect the essential oils in the coffee bean
- 60 precise grind settings from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind. Voltage: 110 120 Volts. Power: 165 Watts
- Precision Electronic Timer allows users to adjust grind time in 0.2 second increments and consistent dose every time
- 18 ounce coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage, and transfer of the bean hopper
- Grind directly into portafilter, grinds container, gold tone filter basket or paper filter
Breville is a very well-known and trusted company in the coffee and espresso industry, and they are most well-known for the production of Nespresso pod-style espresso machines. Choosing a Breville appliance for your home is always a good idea, as their machines have a great reputation for both value and durability.
The Breville Smart Grinder Pro is one of the most intricate and technologically advanced coffee grinders that has ever been designed for home use. It is extremely precise and consistent, and there are 60 different grind settings to choose from.
Another great feature that immediately sets this machine apart from the crowd in terms of high-capacity automatic coffee grinders for home use is its electronic display with a blue backlight. This makes the machine simple to operate, and the display keeps you informed during the grinding process.
There are also different settings when it comes to the number of coffee grounds that the machine dispenses, which makes it easy for espresso and drip coffee lovers alike to perfect their ideal ratio of coffee beans to water over time.
- LCD display makes this machine very simple to operate
- There are 60 different precise grind settings to choose from
- Machine is made up of high-quality parts and hardware for maximum durability
- Powerful burr grinder that easily handles coffee beans each morning
- Five different color finishes to choose from
- Comes with a high-quality cleaning brush to help maintain the machine
- Fairly large and bulky machine compared to more basic grinders
- Some people do not enjoy the blue backlit LCD screen
- Not all coffee enthusiasts require all the high-tech features included
2. Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse
On the opposite end of the technology spectrum is the Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse, which is operated by hand and designed to last many years. While it does not showcase any fancy bells and whistles, it is extremely simple to use and grinds coffee beans to a consistent texture.
This is one of the top models of coffee grinder used by the outdoors and camping community, as its combination of portability and durable metal construction make it quite possibly the best camping coffee grinder ever made.
Another great feature of the Manual Coffee Grinder by JavaPresse is the fact that it is much quieter compared to the electric grinders highlighted on this list. It is also adjustable and allows you to choose from 18 different grind settings during operation.
- 18 different precise grind settings to choose from
- Built to last for thousands of uses with durable parts and hardware
- Much quieter than electric grinders which is great for early risers
- Much more compact and lightweight than the majority of other coffee grinders
- One of the sleekest and most aesthetically pleasing options on the market
- Does not require a power source making it extremely versatile
- Some people prefer the convenience of electric coffee grinders
- Can only handle a limited amount of coffee grounds at a time
- Takes a bit of effort to set up, use, and operate every morning
3. Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill
Many coffee enthusiasts believe that the Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill offers the best combination of features and value of any high-end coffee grinder on the market today. It uses a top-loading bean hopper and showcases one of the largest ground reservoirs of any model currently available.
Many people recognize the Cuisinart name from their long-established history of making high-quality and affordable kitchen goods. In fact, there is a good chance that you own a piece of Cuisinart equipment, as they are a top manufacturer of everything from can openers to blenders.
The oversized grind selector dial makes it simple to choose between 18 different grind settings, and there is a satisfying click each time the machine reaches a new setting. The oversized grind chamber holds 32 ounces of coffee grounds at a time and is easily removed for cleaning and emptying.
The bean hopper is also removable, which is a thoughtful feature that is not included on many other high-end electric coffee grinders. This powerful coffee grinder is both easy to use and easy on the wallet compared to other high-end options.
- Cuisinart is a large manufacturer that has a good reputation for quality
- Large spinning grind adjuster is both beautiful and easy to use
- Available in four different color finishes to accommodate all styles
- High-quality burrs are socially designed to grind coffee beans with minimal friction
- Available for purchase at many of the top retailers in the United States
- Thoughtful design allows the upper bean hopper and bottom reservoir to be removed
- Some people don’t like the “boxy” look and translucent bean hopper
- Fairly large machine that is not ideal for tight spaces and small kitchens
- There are other similar models that also feature touchscreen controls
4. Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
The Baratza Encore is one of the top-selling full-sized electric coffee grinders on the market that is designed for home use. It offers 40 different grind settings, which is far more than other models that are similar in size, price, and function.
This machine is also backed by one of the best one-year warranties in the business, and it is designed with high-quality parts to last many years. Having a large bean hopper full of fresh coffee or espresso beans is one of the easiest ways to enjoy fresh ground coffee with minimal effort.
- Simple design style with a solid body and no large or tacky logos
- Available in two different color finishes to blend in with different kitchens
- Showcases hardened alloy steel burs that handle coffee beans with ease
- Simple and intuitive controls make it a very easy machine to operate
- Features a very powerful motor that is built to last
- Some people prefer to stick with larger names like Cuisinart
- A fairly bulky machine that is quite heavy when filled with coffee beans
- There are other Bartaza models that offer more elegant designs
5. OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder
The OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is highly regarded as one of the best electric conical burr grinders on the market today, and it showcases a number of features that are not found on other similar machines.
The integrated coffee bean hopper on the top of the machine is tinted to protect from UV rays. This allows the hopper to stay slightly translucent without the possibility of sunlight compromising the quality of coffee beans.
Another great thing about the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is the fact that it comes with an industry leading two-year warranty. This is at least double the terms offered by other similar warranties, meaning you can rest easy knowing your machine is covered in case of any issues.
- UV-tinted bean hopper makes it easy to keep an eye on the fill level
- Simple design makes this a very intuitive machine to operate
- 38 precise grind settings make this machine suitable for all styles of coffee
- Available from some of the largest and most trusted retailers in the United States
- Two-year warranty is one of the best in the industry
- Large and bulky machine that is not good for transport or small spaces
- Does not have any high-tech features like LED or touchscreen controls
- Only available in one color finish
Best Burr Grinder – Final Thoughts
While there are many different high-quality burr grinders on the market today that have developed very good reputations, there is one model that stands above the rest in the eyes of most coffee enthusiasts.
The Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill strikes a great balance between function and style without breaking the bank. This is a very consistent and reliable machine, and the removable oversized grounds reservoir is what truly sets it apart from the competition.
Click here to take a look at this popular Cuisinart coffee grinder, and decide for yourself if it is a good match for your needs and coffee-drinking habits.