Owning an automatic espresso machine is a luxury that more and more coffee and espresso enthusiasts have been enjoying over the past decade.
These automated machines come pre-loaded with full libraries of drink recipes, and they handle everything from frothing the milk to perfecting the ratio of hot water and espresso. There are a handful of key factors to look at when choosing between different machines, and selecting the best option for you comes down to weighing all the most important factors.
We have hand-selected five of the best automatic espresso machines on the market today and highlighted the most important features of each to simplify the shopping process for you.
at a glance: The 5 Best Automatic Espresso Machine
While there are many different high-quality automatic espresso machines on the market today, the Gaggia Magenta Prestige is the best option for the majority of espresso enthusiasts.
It has the best features on the market, including automatic milk frothing technology for easy lattes each morning.
Below, we’ve pulled together a table of our top 5 machines to help you find the right fit for your home espresso bar!
Choosing the Right Automatic Espresso Machine
Some of the best automatic espresso machines on the market offer maximum flexibility for customers by allowing them to choose between pre-ground espresso beans and fresh grinding daily, which is just one of the many features machine owners enjoy.
Value and Budget
When it comes to shopping for a new automatic espresso machine, one of the first and most important steps is to pencil out your personal finances and establish a strict budget range for your new machine.
Many new espresso machine owners are surprised to find that owning a high-quality espresso machine comes with some added costs down the line. It is only right to use high-quality espresso beans with these top-tier machines, and these come at a considerable cost.
Many people also tend to pair their new espresso machine with a variety of other items to assemble a full at-home espresso bar. This can include everything from new ceramic espresso cups to stirring spoons and sweeteners, all of which add to the cost of machine ownership.
It is also important to note the difference between price and value when it comes to automatic espresso machines, as some people use the two terms interchangeably by accident. The price of an item only refers to its total cost, while value references the “bang for your buck.”
There are some cases where two different espresso machines cost the same amount, but one may showcase a deeper list of features compared to the other. In this instance, the feature-laden machine offers a better value, while the price of the two items is exactly the same.
For the most part, fully automatic home espresso machines cost upwards of $500. It takes a considerable amount of technology to assemble one of these high-tech machines, which leads to a considerably high manufacturing cost.
At the higher end of the price spectrum, there are professional-level commercial-grade machines for home use that cost upwards of $1000. These are made with the highest quality parts and hardware, which increases the durability of these top-shelf machines.
Features and Technology
One of the most important factors to look at when shopping for a new home automatic espresso machine is the features and capabilities of each individual machine. There are different levels of automatic espresso machines that can handle different tasks and drinks.
Some of the most high-end automatic espresso machines on the market feature Bluetooth and Wifi technology to pair with smartphone apps. This allows customers to keep an eye on the water and espresso bean levels, while also checking on the performance of the machine.
These high-tech machines make maintenance and diagnosing issues easier than ever before by using the included smartphone apps. Many of the top machines send an alert to your phone when it is time for regular cleaning, as well as self-diagnose any issues.
This can be an extremely valuable feature, especially for those who can’t stand it when a machine is not working properly. Instead of figuring it out on your own or resorting to youtube videos, smartphone apps allow you to chat with a customer representative about any machine issues.
While these high-tech features on the “top shelf” automatic espresso machines are a major selling point for some people, there are others who prefer the simplicity and straightforward approach taken by more traditionally designed espresso machines.
These traditionally designed automatic espresso machines feature all of the same high-end automation as their high-tech counterparts while paying homage to the traditional design of the historic Italian espresso machine.
These traditional design elements include analog controls like simple push buttons, switches, and dials. While many of these pieces of hardware have been swapped out for LED screens on other machines, they add a level of class and style to a machine not present with more modern designs.
There are also many people who have become very accustomed to their morning routine, including the comfort of using a traditional espresso machine. Traditionally designed options also usually feature a prominent pressure gauge on the front, which aids with easy operation.
Shape and Size
One of the first things that you should do before shopping for a new at-home espresso machine is to measure the area where you plan to place it. Take a ruler or tape measure and write down the length, depth, and height of the area where you plan to keep your espresso machine.
Keeping these dimensions on hand while shopping is one of the best ways to avoid any mix-ups and ensure that your new machine fits properly. There are some machines that are awkwardly shaped, and some options are better for tight spaces compared to others.
For those who have very small kitchens or are just short on counter space, it is best to look for a slimmer machine that has a small footprint. While these machines may be taller compared to others, they take up less space on a countertop which is ideal for space saving.
There are other situations where it is best to go with a larger automatic espresso machine, as some people find themselves with large empty spaces in their kitchens. A big shiny espresso machine makes for a great centerpiece as well as a conversation starter at dinner parties.
While the weight of an automatic espresso machine may not be of concern for most people, there are others who either travel with their machine or stow it away in a cupboard between uses and prefer the convenience of a simple and lightweight option.
Style and Aesthetics
Another consideration that needs to be made when espresso machine shopping is the look and interior design theme of your individual kitchen. It is important to choose a machine that blends in well with your home, and there are many different styles of machines on the market.
For those with very modern and sleek kitchen designs, there are high-tech automatic machines that are specifically designed to blend in with modern themes. These options are usually boxy or square in shape and feature plain colors such as matte black, gray, and off-white.
On the opposite end of the design spectrum, there are machines that are shiny and metallic and shaped after a traditionally designed Italian espresso machine. These options stick out more in a kitchen, and placement should be carefully considered for this reason.
Retailer and Delivery Method
It is important to use a highly trusted retailer when purchasing a new espresso machine, as this is the best way to ensure that you are receiving a genuine product and avoid any mix-ups. There are many different stores that sell these machines, as well as online retailers.
Going in person to a brick-and-mortar retailer is the best option for those who prefer to take a look at their machine in person before purchase. This is also a great way to get your machine fast, as you can leave the store with it that same day.
Oftentimes, the best deals can be found online. Online shopping makes it possible to compare the prices from many different retailers at once without leaving your home, which can lead to some huge savings for those who know where to look.
While online shopping can be a great way to find a good deal on your new automatic espresso machine, there are many online scams to be wary of. For this reason, it is always recommended to use a large and trusted online retailer such as Amazon.
Amazon is one of the best resources on the internet when it comes to shopping for a new espresso machine, as it allows you to compare many different prices without the worry of a scam. Amazon is a reliable retailer that can often have your machine delivered within two days.
Quick Overview: Our Top Picks for Automatic Espresso Machine
|Breville Barista Express||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Philips 3200 Series||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|Gaggia Magenta Prestige||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|De'Longhi Magnifica||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
|De'Longhi Dinamica Plus||CHECK CURRENT PRICESee Customer Reviews|
Top 5 Automatic Espresso Machines
With so many different automatic espresso machines on the market today, many people find it difficult to decide which option is best for their needs. We have highlighted five of the top machines on the market today, and broken down the most important features of each.
1. Breville Barista Express
- Classically designed machine that is modeled after a traditional Italian espresso machine
- Integrated grinder is located on top of the machine and has 16 grind settings
- Features simple push buttons and analog controls
- Prominently displayed pressure gauge makes proper operation simple
- Integrated tamper holder is very well designed
- Simple display lets you know when the machine needs cleaning
- Does not automatically froth and mix milk for lattes
- There are other machines on the market with more automation
- Does not have the ability to brew traditional coffee
2. Philips 3200 Series
- With Philips 3200 Series enjoy the delicious taste and aroma of coffee from fresh beans at the perfect temperature
- LatteGo Milk System: Top your coffee off with a silky-smooth layer of milk froth
- Intuitive Touch Display: Select the perfect coffee for your mood with just one touch
- My Coffee Choice Menu: Adjust the strength and quantity of your beverage and choose from three different settings to suit your preferences. The Aroma Extract system intelligently strikes the optimum...
- Powerful Filter and Easy Maintenance: Thanks to the AquaClean, enjoy clear and purified water - by changing the filter after being prompted by the machine, you will not need to descale your machine...
- Features the signature LatteGo milk system for latte drinks
- One of the best machines for people who enjoy a latte each morning
- Five different pre-loaded drink buttons make for a simple operation
- Has two different automatic cleaning modes for simple maintenance
- Hot water button is great for tea and Americano enthusiasts alike
- Strikes a great balance between features and simplicity
- Only presents a good value when the machine is on sale
- Does not have the ability to make iced coffee beverages
- No high-tech features like WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity
3. Gaggia Magenta Prestige
- Gaggia is one of the most highly regarded brands in the industry
- Features automatic milk frother for easy latte-style drinks
- Adjustable cup riser makes it easy to use many different-sized cups and mugs
- Espresso bean hopper can hold nearly 9 ounces of beans
- Milk carafe features simple and no mess one-touch operation
- Can either use pre-ground espresso or fresh grind beans daily
- Fairly large and bulky machine that is also quite heavy
- Does not have the ability to make iced coffee beverages
- No high-tech features like a smartphone app or Bluetooth
4. De’Longhi Magnifica
- Simple operation with six different pre-loaded drinks
- High-resolution colorful buttons make it simple to see which drink is which
- One of the most simple machines on the market to clean and maintain
- Integrated top-loading grinder has 13 different settings
- Comes with a small metallic milk frothing pitcher
- Can either used pre-ground espresso or fresh grind daily
- Does not feature an automatic milk frother
- Some people prefer the convenience of the led touch screen version
- There are other machines on the market that feature far more drink recipes
5. De’Longhi Dinamica Plus
- One of the top high-end automatic espresso machines on the market
- Connects to a smartphone app to monitor water and espresso bean levels
- 5-inch color display is one of the largest on the market
- Integrated hopper and bean grinder makes for easy operation
- Automatic milk frother makes for the simple creation of latte drinks
- LatteCrema system is considered by many to be the best milk frother on the market
- High-end premium machine that also comes with a premium price tag
- Can be fairly difficult to operate and maintain for those new to espresso
- There are other machines on the market with more grinder settings